Listing again for the first time since Covid

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Listing again for the first time since Covid

I'm baaaack to hosting! I'm a homeshare host and I just opened up my listing for the first time since the pandemic. And also since the pandemic, I bought a new house so this listing will be a little different. My former house was set up so that guests had a good deal of privacy (essentially their own side of the house) and the bed and bath were set up like a hotel room with no personal items of mine.

My new house is a bit of a different listing and will probably involve more interactions with guests because I can't really cordon off the bed/bath separately. They will have to enter more of "my" space to get to their (still private) bathroom. It's a bit more eclectic which also matches the location which is downtown, where things are a bit different. Downtown is a very popular location though, which is good! My former house was in the suburbs.

Welcoming all suggestions/comments on my new listing! There are things I have done very intentionally, so suggestions on those may be ignored because I have my reasons for doing things a certain way. But I'd love to get feedback since this listing will be less "formal" than my last listing and closer to Airbnb's roots (that, we all know have been strayed from, but that's a different post!). Oh, I've really missed hosting!

15 Replies 15
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 I would consider adding into your description something along the lines of 'Reviews prior to XX date are of my previous home. This property is very different so please read the description carefully'

@Mike-And-Jane0Great suggestion! Thanks!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Suzanne302 Very cute space. I love the archway into the kitchen. 

I would do a floorplan so that guests can see how much of your space they might have to move through. Also take some brighter pics. The space looks really cottage-y cute, but the pics are dark. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Suzanne302 welcome back! I'd agree, more info needed. For example... doggo at the welcome mat, is a full-time resident? likes dogs, cats, rabbits?? You're pet friendly: for how many, what kind, any restrictions at all??? You said the room is tiny, but what about the rest of the house? They can't cook, but can they order take out and hangout in the living room/dining room for their entire stay?? "There are 2 of us coming, I'll take the bedroom, other guest will be happy on the couch! See you soon!!" ABB guests have gotten even wackier than before. Spell it out carefully! Good luck!

@Kelly149I put Griffin as my main pic to make it obvious this is a house with a dog in addition to the info hidden away by Airbnb about dogs on premises. Not sure how much more obvious I can get! I think I did mention Griffin in the description on my last listing, so maybe I'll add him in again.

All the questions you asked are in my description in the same place you read about no cooking, lol! (copied below) I agree, we sometimes have to spell it out for guests. Too little info and everything is open to interpretation, too much info and guests don't read it all. It's tough! Thanks for your input!

The space
The bedroom is TINY (10x10) and has no TV. Your bathroom is private and reserved solely for your use during your stay. Kitchen access is restricted (no cooking), but you are welcome to use the coffee and snack station as well as the dining room table.
Guest access
Guests have access to a private bedroom, a private bathroom, and limited access to the kitchen facilities. You are also welcome to relax on the back deck or the front porch.

@Suzanne302 "obvious" is not always obvious... You're right that it's a fine balance and goodness knows that guests will miss things anyway, but I'd still spell out more if it were me.

"Griffin lives here, he's happy meeting any and all new people and new dogs. He barks and wags, and very much loves head scratches. So, if you're not into dogs or if your dog isn't into other dogs then this wouldn't be a good fit for you."

"You'll walk thru our living room to get from the snacks stand to your room and we'll say hi when you do, but the living room is reserved for host/Griffin"

"You can store a couple of beverages and a to-go sandwich in the fridge, but otherwise we expect that you'll be exploring the food scene in town. You are welcome to bring take out back to the dining room table, but no eating in your room please."

or whatever the case may be for how you'd like it to go and you do you, but as a host I'd want to know that I had the standing to stop poor behaviour and as a guest I'd want to know what I was and wasn't ok with doing.

@Kelly149 OMG that’s perfect! Thank you!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Great feedback from all the hosts thus far.  I really agree a bit more information and pictures about what a guest will experience and the shared space is needed.  You also might want to warm up the space with a bit more decor, not too much, but the pictures are somewhat sterile.  Good luck with the new listing!!

@Linda108  Yes! I definitely need new pictures. It's going to have to wait until my first wave of guests leaves. I listed on Sunday and I'm already booked for the entire week with 3 different guests. I guess I won't be "easing" back into things. Yikes.

I agree that you need more photos.  I personally would like to see photos of places for “porch/stoop sitting’”, especially as that extends the guest’s space a bit.

I think you spell out guest access very well, while maintaining a welcoming tone overall.  And the pet info seems sufficient.  BTW, I’d stay with you based on the listing photo alone!

I, too, have a dinky room, no TV with an en suite half-bath.  Guests have to walk thru living room and kitchen to reach the shower which, since it’s right next to my bedroom, they must use before 10 pm.

No cooking, but I let them use the microwave (very few do), and they have a dorm fridge and full coffee/tea service in their room.  They also EAT in the room- especially Millenials and Gen Z’s - even though the dining room is right outside their door, the kitchen nook is really pleasant and there’s a nice garden setting perfect for eating. 🤷‍♀️- to each “their” own…Still, there was only 1 food-related spill in over 2 years of hosting, and it was super-easy to clean up; there’s never been a roach or ants in my home.  

My “selling point”, like yours, is location.  Yours also looks to be a great value, as mine is.  As evident from your immediate bookings, you’re going to do great!

Welcome back, and have fun!

@Marie6762  I admit, I once booked an Airbnb simply because the listing was titled “Must love dogs”, lol!

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, my location is primo which makes up for a few things like the tiny room! I’m really embracing a more eclectic, intimate type of listing as my last listing was really different. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 you've missed hosting and we've missed you!!! Glad to have you back.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Suzanne302 

Everything seems very clear. It's nice to not have too many rules and as you are living together can communicate.

But maybe some mention of quiet hours? Guest don't have a TV but what if someone is talking really loud on their phone all night either outside or inside? I don't elaborate but just put quiet hours for outside after 11pm and so far have had really quiet guest. (They wouldn't bother me but they are close to neighbors.)

If guest bring pets where would the store their pet food and where would they eat or have a water bowl? In the kitchen, out on the porch? Maybe just sort that out when they book? I wouldn't want guest to leave their pets in the bedroom. If I allowed dogs they would also be required to exercise them and take them on a walk. 

@John5097  Thanks for your comments and great points! I've never really had a need for quiet hours but I have a house manual in the room (who knows if it gets read!) and it says, "No need to tiptoe around if coming in late or leaving early. Just please be respectful and refrain from excessive noise late at night or early in the morning."

As for pets, you must not have seen any of my posts over the years on hosting dogs. 🙂

I have a different take on hosting dogs than most hosts. At least half my guests in the past have brought a dog (or two or three!) and although I do have a short list of dog "rules" posted in the room, I think it's excessive to require a guest to exercise their dog and they are more than welcome to leave their dog in the room. The only thing I emphasize is that the guest is responsible for any damage done by their dog. I also leave dog treats and supply food and water bowls.

99% of my guests with dogs have been respectful with zero issues! Again, I know most hosts don't feel this way, but I trust my screening instincts and since I enjoy traveling with my own pup, I want others to be able to do the same with minimum burdens.