Listing again for the first time since Covid

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Listing again for the first time since Covid

I'm baaaack to hosting! I'm a homeshare host and I just opened up my listing for the first time since the pandemic. And also since the pandemic, I bought a new house so this listing will be a little different. My former house was set up so that guests had a good deal of privacy (essentially their own side of the house) and the bed and bath were set up like a hotel room with no personal items of mine.

My new house is a bit of a different listing and will probably involve more interactions with guests because I can't really cordon off the bed/bath separately. They will have to enter more of "my" space to get to their (still private) bathroom. It's a bit more eclectic which also matches the location which is downtown, where things are a bit different. Downtown is a very popular location though, which is good! My former house was in the suburbs.

Welcoming all suggestions/comments on my new listing! There are things I have done very intentionally, so suggestions on those may be ignored because I have my reasons for doing things a certain way. But I'd love to get feedback since this listing will be less "formal" than my last listing and closer to Airbnb's roots (that, we all know have been strayed from, but that's a different post!). Oh, I've really missed hosting!

15 Replies 15

@Suzanne302 

Thanks for the insights on your hosting experience. I haven't read your post on dogs, but only started hosting at the start of covid. I recall a post of yours when you got your new place and were starting back again, so maybe I missed some earlier ones, although usually dog post are about service or ESA dogs. 

I've been on the fence about allowing dogs, but the real problem is I don't have a fence. I'm right on the marsh which really poses a lot of potential risk. Dogs would follow or chaise an animal and in less than a block in either direction be in 6 different neighborhoods, as there are also ponds and dogs get lost all the time. Not to mention just getting muddy. 

I also traveled with my dog extensively. I was in the habit of walking my dogs twice a day, also a family pet before this one, so I just consider that being dog friendly, and a major part of my life experience, although a lot of my friends just take theirs everywhere to bars and such so its a lot different. 

My rental is a separate apartment so once they rent it they are on their own. If they disappeared for say 12 hours there really isn't anything I could do about it if they left their dog alone, for example. I do let one guest bring their dog, Honey, they stay with me four time a year and you can't even tell a dog was in the place. She has her own bed, which is also what I did with my dog. I would let more but no one ask and its just kind of tricky, although something I've always considered.

Finally, the only experience I had was a couple who phoned me after check in and let me know they had a service dog. It was just when I started. I did see the dog bolt after a squirrel past my glass door but they were outside with it and called it back so not sure if that was controlling the dog or not but would rather not have dogs chairing wildlife. I also have a lot of birds that feed along the marsh and that would be pretty nerve racking seeing the dog out in the muddy marsh, and I really enjoy allowing the birds to feed in their habitat. But, anyhow, everything was fine expect they must have shut the service dog in the bedroom and stripped the bed down to the mattress because there was dog hair all over the mattress beneath the mattress protector. The bed spread also had some tears but it was already not holding up, so no damages, but it is still a $900 mattress and $1200 couch, plus I still have several more years to even break even on the renovations, so would likely need to screen guest very closely to allow dogs. If they considered exercising them a burden then they really should find a place with a fenced in yard and porch area. 

Anyway, I'm sure you have your screening down so get responsible guest. The area looks amazing with state parks with trails close by. Someday I hope to allow more dogs but so far just allowing couples has worked fine and its super easy. Oh, I can't even hear guest at all as there is a thick wall between us, so I don't have any rules, and no matter what age the guest seem to fit in perfectly. 

Anyway I could ramble on for hours about dogs! Good luck with your hosting!