Living space not as advertised

Kevin2347
Level 1
Randburg, South Africa

Living space not as advertised

Hi Everyone, I am currently at an apartment and not having a good time at all.
Before getting here the host sent me a message saying that there might be some layout changes to the apartment. Which is fine I guess.
On the listing there is a photo of a porch with 2 chairs overlooking a canal from the living area of the apartment however when I woke up I found that my living area looks into a wall.
The apartment has a washing machine and when asking the host where to hang my clothes their response was that they have ordered drying racks and should have one for me by the middle of the week. (I messaged them on Sunday it is now Thursday. Still no drying racks and they are not responding to my messages any more) I am now out of clean clothes and need to have my clothes washed somehow.
On top of that there is construction happening outside of the apartment making it very difficult for me to work during the day (no reply on this either)

On the first night of sleeping in the apartment there was also a tarp that was strung in between the wall I was looking at and the apartment but not secured properly and in the storms that the area is currently having making a lot of noise keeping me awake. This was at least resolved.

I want to move out of this place as it has just left a very bad taste in my mouth but I do not feel it is fair that I will lose 50% of the money for the nights remaining.
What are my options here?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you follow the advice on your booking confirmation and contact the host within 24 hours of arrival raising the issues that weren't as described on the listing. @Kevin2347 

If you did and the host wasn't able to resolve contact them and ask for a penalty free cancellation. Involve Airbnb if they don't respond.

Hello @Helen3 

is the booking confirmation you are talking about is an automated email sent by AirBNB to all guest after their arrival date? 

Annie

@Kevin2347  If you report to Airbnb that the listing is not as described (e.g. missing rooms or key amenities) within 24 hours of check-in, and you aren't able to proceed with your stay, you'd follow the process outlined in the Guest Refund Policy

In your case, the issues sound more like a mix of issues with easy workarounds (e.g. buying a drying rack and requesting a reimbursement, or going to a laundromat) and annoyances that are beyond the host's control (outside noise). A seasoned host would recognize that there's no benefit in prolonging the stay of a guest who's thoroughly unhappy with the home, but this host sounds like either a scammer or a n00b  - let me guess, the listing has somewhere between zero and 5 reviews? 

Dealing with someone who isn't reputably good at their job means you've got to push all the buttons to deliver your preferred outcome. So I'd recommend preparing an offer to move forward your checkout date, in exchange for a refund for the unused nights. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1363/changing-your-reservation-during-a-trip

If you get no response, get ready for Airbnb customer service hell. They might ultimately grant you a refund for the unused nights, but you're out of pocket for however much more it costs to find a new apartment last-minute.