Long term

Valerie696
Level 2
California City, CA

Long term

Hello!

I'm a recent super host, and had my first request for an extended stay (2 months).  In the listing, I limit stays to 27 nights.  I live in a state where the tenant status would apply to a guest residing at our place for over a month.

Can I suggest to the prospective guest to book 2 different stays, of, lets say, 28 nights each? Would that avoid having the guest be considered as a "tenant"?

Would I have to ask them to physically exit the house for 24h,  Or could I just have  them check-out, and then back in on the same day?

The prospective guest is also requesting for a discounted rate, based on the fact it would  be beneficial for me to have the place booked, and not have to worry about cleaning the house in between tenants....  The listing already provides for a weekly and a monthly discount.

Thanks for your input!

Valerie

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't know how the laws work in your country, but I can't imagine running back to back bookings would exempt you from the legislation.

I think hosts in the US might get guests to sign contracts in additional to Airbnb T&Cs for long term lets. I am sure someone from the US will come along and advise.

Nor would a guest be happy having to find somewhere else for the night.

A guest asking for an additional discount on your monthly rate would be a red flag to me and I would decline, but appreciate that doesn't work for everyone.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

It's unfair of a guest to ask you for a further discount beyond the discount you already offer for long term stays. That is a huge red flag and could cause problems down the road.

Here in Alaska, if a guest stays for 7 days or more and receives mail at your address, they can claim residency in your unit. I won't rent long term to anyone just for this reason (I had to previously evict a Section 8 tenant in 2018). 

Personally, I prefer shorter term bookings. Less time for someone to destroy or damage my property and I have more control. I don't want to be stuck with a less than desirable guest. 

What is the guest doesn't work out for you for whatever reason? Then you won't be able to get rid of them. There are lots of factors for you to consider with this.

Thank you both for your feed-back.   I think you are right about the "asking for further discount" red flag...

Waow, claiming residency after 1 week and a piece of mail, that's scary!!!!

I think I'll pass, as the grey zone of an Airbnb guest morphing into a tenant may be more than I want to deal with at this time...

Thank you again!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Valerie696   Great feedback from @Helen3  and @Maia29.  Smart of you to consider the feedback.  I think there is a big difference between short term rental and long term or tenant rental.  Yes there are different regulations but I think when someone becomes a landlord, that is a different state of mind than the person who is a host.