Major host policy changes hidden in a spammy looking "Explore updates to features and policies" email

Major host policy changes hidden in a spammy looking "Explore updates to features and policies" email

Major changes Airbnb is attempting to slide under the radar include:

- Hosts can no longer require security deposits -- so guests can now damage your property and easily wriggle out of paying for it

- Guests now have 72 hours to report concerns instead of 24 hours -- 3x more time for guests to decide they want to file a bogus claim

- If guests complain -- in addition to the refund, hosts now actually have to pay out of pocket if Airbnb decides to re-book the guest at a more expensive rental

I hope Airbnb is listening -- making these kind of policy changes is bad enough for hosts, but when you try to slip this under the radar with a spammy-looking email that purports to "strengthen the foundation of trust" -- you're actually doing the opposite. It's obvious these policy changes favor guests. If you believe they're correct, then own it, explain it clearly to us, and drop the spin.
5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Richard2477 There is a discussion already going on here,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Another-update-which-will-increase-guest-refund-requests...

“Hosts can no longer require security deposits -- so guests can now damage your property and easily wriggle out of paying for it”

This is not new. Airbnb has never collected the security deposit from guests, and if a host tries to make a claim, guest is free to just say no. Host being liable for rehousing cost is also not new. 

But, yes, even more reason now for hosts to work even harder to find other baskets to put their eggs in. 

Airbnb has never collected the security deposit from guests, and if a host tries to make a claim, guest is free to just say no.

actually AirBnB DID originally reserve the deposit on the card, then a policy change was that they would no longer reserve it as some guests did not have the credit limit to book and reserver the deposit.  Not they are not even listing the security deposit at all.   The current policy is that guests can say no but airbnb could pull fees out of the card if there is a deposit.   

> Host being liable for rehousing cost is also not new. 

That is new.   Currently hosts are liable if the host cancels, now they are liable if the guests makes a complaint about dirty towels or non-working appliances, or bugs and host may not even know about this till after it happens.  

@Yoncenia0  I believe that both guest and Airbnb must notify the host or try to. That is maybe a little easier for those of us already trying to always be not far away for a guest but maybe not so good for those who prefer'hands off' as a fall back.Guests who cancel must also leave so there is no 'staying out a free stay'with a refund to boot which is the scammers favourite. At least Airbnb knows some policies are not working but do they know that some of their customer service people are also in on the scam H

You are absolute right. Fortunately, I have only had 2 damage issues, but the Resolution Center is absolutely useless.  A late reaction saying: please contact your guest to resolve the issue?! That is what I tried first of course, but it did not work.

I am afraid some guests will take advantage of this new policy to obtain free stays.

And: of course an appliance can break down (sometimes even by wrong usage by the guest himself) and repairs can take more than 72 hours. 

Host try their best, but do not always have control over a situation. 

Lance0
Level 2
Birmingham, AL

Has anyone else found a better app for attracting bookings as Airbnb doesn’t support hosts anymore?