My host account has been closed. I can't remove my co-host, or download my listing details, or escalate the matter

Samantha975
Level 1
Nosara, Costa Rica

My host account has been closed. I can't remove my co-host, or download my listing details, or escalate the matter

Airbnb has serious bugs, and it is damaging my business. 

What happened: I got email notice in February saying my listing will be suspended until March 25th, due to a low rating. While I only hosted 3 guests this year, the most recent on was 5 star, the previous one was 3 star, and the first one didn't leave review. I was fully booked until the end of March, so there was no way for me to do anything as "improvement" to show to airbnb. Then on March 18th it's saying my host account is revoked, I can't host anymore. Problem 1, I have not received any communication regarding rating would endanger hosting account. Problem 2, my overall rating is 4.4, but customer service is saying my rating is 3. I have no visibility of my rating as the base of why they made this decision. Problem 3, I can't access my listings, and can't remove my co-host. if I'm not hosting, why do I need co-host on my listing? Problem 4, there is no way to escalate this matter when the customer service couldn't give me anything beyond "sorry I can't help". I have requested a manager to look into it, and the customer service person just said "I'm out of the office". 

It is extremely disturbing that airbnb is not looking after the host's interest. We are half of the equision but are definitely not getting half of the attention. 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samantha975  I'm sorry this happened to you, but honestly, reading through your reviews, you have a lot of bad reviews, which talk about poor cleaning, poor maintenance, things not working. You seem to excuse yourself in your responses, saying it's rustic, it's in Costa Rica, so it's hard to get things fixed, and so on, instead of listening to your guests and stepping up your game. 

There is no reason why a place can't be clean just because it's rustic, and no reason to be accepting bookings when you know things haven't been fixed or you have construction projects going on that will be disturbing to guests. 

Unfortunately, this approach to hosting has cost you by being suspended. 

I can only suggest that you keep trying to talk to Airbnb, let them know that you understand what you need to improve, and hope that they reinstate you.

I've made improvements based on the previous reviews. For example, it's hard to keep up with the house in rainy season so I take it off the market and rent monthly instead. Another example, I clearly state in the description that if guest requires quietness they should not book, because we are located in the center of a buzzing town. These are the nature of the property, out of my control. Do you expect I move to a quieter location or change the season? Of course, new issues arise all the time, that's why my complaint is about Airbnb's policy is not being transparent, or progressive, or actually solve problem for hosts. It uses too few data points, and has no way to verify the progress that the host has made. It also doesn't make sense for host to dispute every bad review when circumstances apply. 

@Samantha975  I know that guests don't read and book places that aren't suitable for them, then complain. It's an unfortunate state of affairs that most hosts have to deal with at some point. Guests book a rustic place in the tropics, then freak out and want a refund because they saw an ant or a spider. They book a place in the heart of a busy downtown area, then complain because there's traffic noise. 

I live in the tropics, too. If I clean the guest room the day before a guest arrives, I have to go back in 15 minutes before they check in to do a last minute check, because in half a day there could be a dead or live insect appear, gecko poop on the desk, or a new layer of dust in dry season. 

This forum is full of posts about long-standing hosts getting suspended for bogus guest complaints. It's really outrageous but it just keeps happening. 

I don't know what to say except I really hope you can get Airbnb to reinstate you. I bet if that guest knew her 3* review got you suspended, she'd feel really bad. Guests just have no idea how the star ratings they give affect hosts.

Thanks @Sarah977 . I haven't found any information on reinstating. But I will look for it. Basically, I had a management company take care of the house but not anymore as of the end of last year, and I am taking care of the house myself this year. But I only had 3 bookings and 2 reviews. It is disappointing that I put in more effort and got a worse result.

BTW the guest who gave 3 star wanted to stay longer but couldn't find anything for the same price she paid for my place, left to another beach town and found her experience was much worse... If my place was her 2nd stop, I probably got 5 stars...