New Airbnb Commercial

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

New Airbnb Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swC5HX1HmLw

Okay, where to begin?

Yes its cute. The creatures are cute. But....

1) did the ad agency research the antipathy that many hosts have to pets lol? Come on! That's a lot of hair to clean!

2) does anyone feel a little irritated that they may be compared to Bigfoot (or Cousin Itt) if they stay as a guest?

3) would this make you host? It wouldn't make me want to.

4) is the message "hosts view people as monsters?" Seems so. 

Let's focus group this-- I don't know if it has been. What are your impressions?

102 Replies 102

@Sandra126 lol I know of what you speak! Unfortunately.  Warning to the rest of you: there are things you cannot unsee.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sandra126 

I am not going to look this up because my innocence might be spoilt. Is this something akin to 'bears'?

@Huma0 much much worse.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Oh dear...

I'm still not totally over @Robin4 and his "fleshlights".

Sorry, @Robin4 , I know the fleshlights are not yours and you were just trying to educate me...

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Huma0 not really, bears and cubs are quite specific. Anyone at all can be a furry. Have met a few. Will perhaps be some on forum, hugely appreciative at this ad aimed at their small market group! I want it to be noted for the record that I am not one.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sandra126 

I really probably shouldn't bring this up but... When I was in my early twenties, I temporarily moved back in with my parents (as so many 21 year olds do). Okay fine, but then my 22-year-old brother moved back in too and started using MY shower. Well, I didn't appreciate his 'hair shedding' and told him as much. 

A lot of friction ensued...

Question is, how do you deal with hairy guests? Early on, I had some girls who completely covered the shower tray and blocked the drain with hair to the extent that another guest (these are shared bathrooms) were grossed out about it, but when I politely asked them to be a bit more tidy about it, they freaked out and left me a 3* review.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I've never shared with guests, so I just scoop it out. Loathsome task. Blocks drains.  Hairdryer shoots hair all over the bathroom too. Clean, clean. Vacuum bathroom prior to mopping or it sticks to mop head and ruins it. Thats my best tip.

Bald guests are great.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sandra126 

Luckily, I have weekly cleaners who deal with the most unpleasant jobs like that, but for the majority of my time hosting, I was doing it myself. Always vacuum before mopping! 

I have long hair and shed a lot of it, but I'm really careful not to let too much get in the drain when I shower, nor would I ever leave the shower covered in my hair. It really surprises me that people do that. I would't even do it at a hotel, let alone in a shared bathroom.

PS We aren't allowed to use hairdryers in the bathroom here. It's against electrical safety standards so you can't plug one in. People still seem to sometimes clog even the sink with hair.

@Huma0@Sandra126

Since hosting I've learned young women shed more hair in the shower. I've thought of creating a post that we should charge a pet fee for young women, but just joking of course. Frequently I'll find a blob on the shower wall that looks like it might have been left by one of the big foot guest in the add, I suppose so as not to block the drain, and as the shower walls are marble looking tile, I clean and pay close attention. I find it amusing. I just always had my own bathroom so didn't notice that women were like kia dolls. Always vacuum before mopping. Also use a squeegee after scrubbing and rinsing, and always clean the drain.

As far as the add. It was so dark and creepy at the start. Although I suppose after that it would keep the viewers attention just out of curiosity, and it did have a nice twist at the end that also implies that both host and guest shouldn't be distrustful by default.  

@Laura2592 

Wanted to add the young women are by far the easiest most pleasant to host. Great communication, very positive, clean and always leave a positive review, and even like the little notes and easy access instructions so they don't have to rely on someone. And always go around with a shop vac anyway so just amusing! One who just stayed even found the dish rack way in the back under the kitchen sink, even though there is a dishwasher. 

I find it very rewarding to provide a safe place for solo travelers even if we don't see or meet each other. I thought I would hate cleaning and have someone else do that but as it turns out I happen to have flexible schedule and don't mind. I also get to make sure it gets done right. The shower is by far the most work as there is a clear glass door that has to be cleaned with windex using multible clean rags and once week with lysol bathroom cleaner to get rid of the soap scum, but guest really appreciate how clean the place is, and yes some women ask how I manage to keep the shower door looking new. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

Yeah, I kind of get the message they were going for...

As for young women shedding hair... Well, it's not just young women. I am middle aged but have long hair and it's still a problem. However, I'm very careful about it, i.e. not only do I try to minimise how much gets in the drain (and make sure the drains are cleared), after I wash my hair, I throw that excess in the bin, not leave it stuck to a shower wall. However, I have seen many other people do this (occasionally in excessive amounts). It baffles me. Why would you think that is okay, especially in a shared bathroom?

On the other hand, some guys (more often young ones), can leave the showers and/or basins covered in stubble, or worse...

@Huma0 Yes all of that would be more inconsiderate for a shared bathroom. For me its no big deal. The shower drain is bigger so no problem with clogs. The bathroom sink is the only one I have to remove the trap to clean in the apartment, and yes I've had guys trim their beard. But in my experience its toothpaste and mouth wash that clogs sink drains. I use one bathroom for showering and shaving and never clogs, but the one that I brush my teeth does. I run a snake though it on the end of a drill to unclog it, and also use drain cleaner with enzymes that dissolves sludge that builds up. I'm going to do that next week. I meant to do it every six months but put it off so probably will need to snake it out again. There are a lot of post here where host are furious that guest clogged a drain but its more likely it just needs regular maintenance.

Lately guest have even cleaning up some in the bathrooms and one of the reasons I prefer short term so they can't make too much of a mess.   

So here's to a very harry Airbnb Christmas! 🙂  

@John5097  "The bathroom sink is the only one I have to remove the trap to clean in the apartment, "

I keep a little drain screen in the bathroom  sink. It just lifts off and traps everything, so all you have to do is lift it off and wipe and rinse the crud out of it. It would save you from having to clean out the trap.

No guest has ever removed it, as far as I'm aware, although they would have to do that it they  wanted to use the drain plug.

@Sarah977 The Airbnb I stayed in had one of those and I have meant to find one! So smart! The drain in that bathroom is new but has a more compicated stopper connection that actually makes it harder to clean. Although I did figure out a way to just remove the trap, which is easy, and use a coat hanger that's cut and I keep under the sink. 

In the US all of the drain lines to bathrooms, kitchen and laundry are also bigger in new construction and new building codes than they used to be. The apartment is all new so bigger drain pipes and I replaced the main one going out to the street so thankfully only have the one bathroom sink that clogs although lots of hair with sludge! I'm going to get the screen! 

@John5097 In my experience, those screens are readily available in dollar store or hardware stores.

I wouldn't be able to use one in my own bathroom, because it has one of those stoppers you push down on to seal the drain,and push again to pop open, but my guest room sink just has a regular drain hole with a separate rubber stopper.