New User - Keep getting declined reservations

Answered!

New User - Keep getting declined reservations

I recently downloaded Airbnb couple weeks ago because I’m traveling to LA for the first time. I’m constantly getting decline on reservation due to my account having no reviews and being new, I verified my ID placed a bio on my profile introducing myself however, still not enough. As a new user this is frustrating although I do get the idea hosts are cautious of their property and who they accept based on reviews. I don’t know anyone with reviews on Airbnb so basically this app is unusable. Does anyone have tips for new user successfully getting reservations? 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delvin3 

It's good that you've added a profile photo and intro and verified your ID etc. and send an introductory message to hosts. Many, many guests (even experienced users) don't do all or any of that, which I personally find much more off putting that having no reviews.

I firmly believe that everyone has to start somewhere. I myself was a new Airbnb guest at some point and actually don't have many reviews as a guest!  I have no problem accepting first time guests and most of them have been great.

However, I know a lot of hosts are really reluctant to do so. I think @Debra300 's advice is very good. Your introductory message needs a bit of tweaking. 

You write:

"Hi ___, this is my first time using Airbnb and my first time traveling in 11+ years for vacation, I will be traveling with 1 guest and will be check-in on ____ and out on _____.  The area I was looking for place was in West Hollywood in LA for 3 nights."

I wouldn't necessarily start with it being your first time using Airbnb nor your first time travelling in 11+ years. That might put some hosts off, i.e. they might feel you're a bit too much of a gamble.

Also, rather than just mention the area you want to stay in, say something nice about the listing and why you would like to book that, e.g.

"Hi X, I am was looking for somewhere to stay in West Hollywood for three nights and came across your listing, which looks perfect for me. You have such great reviews and I really like X, Y Z about the listing...."

Explain the purpose of your visit and who you will be travelling with, your intended check in time etc. These sorts of things give a host more confidence, e.g.

"Hi X, I am was looking for somewhere to stay in West Hollywood for three nights while sightseeing with my partner/friend Z, and came across your listing, which looks perfect for the two of us. You have such great reviews and I really like X, Y Z about the listing... We are hoping to check in between 3 and 4pm if that's good for you."

In terms of you being a new user, you could phrase it something like"

"This is the first time we will be visiting LA and we are really excited to see the city and stay in your lovely listing. Although new to Airbnb, I can assure you that we are responsible and respectful people and will take good care of your listing. I am happy to provide references if required."

Other hosts might disagree with me, but I feel that a warm, friendly and open (but always polite and respectful) tone works better than a very generic message. To me, the communication with the guest and how they come across is often more important than the reviews (because many hosts leave very generic, meaningless reviews or often don't leave a review at all when there has been a problem).

Rather than write something generic, really look at the listings you want to stay in, read them in full (including any extended house rules) and acknowledge this in your message, e.g.

"I've read through your listing and house rules and they all look very reasonable to me. Of course we will happily respect X, Y, Z."

Maybe that all seems too OTT, but hosts can be nervous about renting out their spaces to newbies, perhaps due to previous bad experiences. I am particularly picky about accepting anyone until I feel like they have understood the listing and that it's a good fit for them (and for me).

11 Replies 11
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Delvin3   I appreciate your frustration as I know just how disheartening this can be.  When making an enquiry or request please let the Host know your purpose of your stay along with a bit of information about yourself.  Many hosts are reluctant to accept people new to the platform and with no reviews.  I do understand that ‘we all need to start somewhere’ and although personally we ask that our guests have good reviews prior to ‘instant booking’ we have also accepted many with no reviews based on their initial communication.. and apart from one occasion, they have all been great guests!  Hope this helps

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Delvin3,

Would you please share the message that you're writing in your booking requests so we can provide feedback or suggestions?  Also,

1. What type of places have you been trying to reserve and for how long?
  2. How many people are going to be staying at the place?  Are any of the guests children?  Please note that there are properties which don't accept children although Airbnb will still display them even if the search criteria lists children in the guest count.

I understand that we all had to start somewhere, and as on-site hosts we have allowed unreviewed guests to book with us.  However, during the times we are away from our listings, I am reluctant to accept reservations from people who have no reviews.  We accept reservations on other platforms from unknown guests, but we process the payment, and have the guest's credit card details for a security deposit.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

What I usually write for the booking request: Hi ___, this is my first time using Airbnb and my first time traveling in 11+ years for vacation, I will be traveling with 1 guest and will be check-in on ____ and out on _____.  The area I was looking for place was in West Hollywood in LA for 3 nights. It’s like my intro doesn’t matter unless I don’t have reviews, may move to a different app. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Delvin3,

Thanks for sharing your introduction message, and the location of town.  Again, what type of place have you been trying to rent?  Are the hosts onsite?  I was trying to drop you a hint in my prior message.  Look for spaces that are hosted by individuals (not management companies) who live on site.  They are more likely to accept a reservation from a new Airbnb user, because they are more likely to take the time to have a conversation with you.

If I were you, I'd address my newness in a little different manner, and say something like, 

"Hi XXX,

My name is Debra, and I really like your place. I am originally from Antigua, and have been living in the US for 11 years and work as a XX.  This will be my first time using Airbnb and my first visit to LA.  My XX and I plan to XX while we are there.  Since I don't have any reviews yet, please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss if your place is a good fit me."

You don't have to mention your date of arrival and departure, because those should be the dates of your reservation request.  Also, make sure that you have read the entire listing description and house rules, because often hosts will leave Easter Eggs, and will automatically decline a guest if they don't acknowledge finding it.  I am an old head, and do recommend that people use the desktop version of any online booking site just to make it easier to see all of the information.  Airbnb truncates important areas on its mobile site, and most of the time people don't click the read more button or the arrows that expand a section.  Then they miss key information.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delvin3 

It's good that you've added a profile photo and intro and verified your ID etc. and send an introductory message to hosts. Many, many guests (even experienced users) don't do all or any of that, which I personally find much more off putting that having no reviews.

I firmly believe that everyone has to start somewhere. I myself was a new Airbnb guest at some point and actually don't have many reviews as a guest!  I have no problem accepting first time guests and most of them have been great.

However, I know a lot of hosts are really reluctant to do so. I think @Debra300 's advice is very good. Your introductory message needs a bit of tweaking. 

You write:

"Hi ___, this is my first time using Airbnb and my first time traveling in 11+ years for vacation, I will be traveling with 1 guest and will be check-in on ____ and out on _____.  The area I was looking for place was in West Hollywood in LA for 3 nights."

I wouldn't necessarily start with it being your first time using Airbnb nor your first time travelling in 11+ years. That might put some hosts off, i.e. they might feel you're a bit too much of a gamble.

Also, rather than just mention the area you want to stay in, say something nice about the listing and why you would like to book that, e.g.

"Hi X, I am was looking for somewhere to stay in West Hollywood for three nights and came across your listing, which looks perfect for me. You have such great reviews and I really like X, Y Z about the listing...."

Explain the purpose of your visit and who you will be travelling with, your intended check in time etc. These sorts of things give a host more confidence, e.g.

"Hi X, I am was looking for somewhere to stay in West Hollywood for three nights while sightseeing with my partner/friend Z, and came across your listing, which looks perfect for the two of us. You have such great reviews and I really like X, Y Z about the listing... We are hoping to check in between 3 and 4pm if that's good for you."

In terms of you being a new user, you could phrase it something like"

"This is the first time we will be visiting LA and we are really excited to see the city and stay in your lovely listing. Although new to Airbnb, I can assure you that we are responsible and respectful people and will take good care of your listing. I am happy to provide references if required."

Other hosts might disagree with me, but I feel that a warm, friendly and open (but always polite and respectful) tone works better than a very generic message. To me, the communication with the guest and how they come across is often more important than the reviews (because many hosts leave very generic, meaningless reviews or often don't leave a review at all when there has been a problem).

Rather than write something generic, really look at the listings you want to stay in, read them in full (including any extended house rules) and acknowledge this in your message, e.g.

"I've read through your listing and house rules and they all look very reasonable to me. Of course we will happily respect X, Y, Z."

Maybe that all seems too OTT, but hosts can be nervous about renting out their spaces to newbies, perhaps due to previous bad experiences. I am particularly picky about accepting anyone until I feel like they have understood the listing and that it's a good fit for them (and for me).

Youre amazing! With your tips I successfully got a booking! Thank you so much! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Delvin3 

That's great to hear! Hope you have a wonderful trip 🙂

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Fantastic @Delvin3  enjoy your stay 

James413
Level 3
Gig Harbor, WA

Dear Devlin,  Some hosts will not take reservations from people without reviews.  My view

is you have to take the first step before you can walk.  If you wish to visit New Jersey and

book one of my rooms you will not be declined unless it is already booked.  Be respectful

of my property and follow the rules and you will get a 5 star review.  Then you will be able

to book the locations that require a review.   We enjoy meeting new people and making

their stay a great memory.  Hope to see you soon.  James 

you  have to take the

James A. Klamfoth

That's currently where I'm at.  Filled out my account info, explained I've only ever used hotels, I'm new to AirBnB.  Here's why I'm booking, declined because no reviews.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Tony1501,

Try following the suggestions that were shared with @Delvin3 to see if you get an approved reservation request.  Good luck.