No first message from guest when booking

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

No first message from guest when booking

Five of my last seven reservations didn't include a first message. This seems odd as this never happened before. I updated my rules to include a first message when making a reservation but just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue? I didn't see any recent post on the issue. 

I thought a first message was required to make a reservation? Not a good way to start a booking. So far they have been responsive getting back with me,  but just had two today so waiting to see if they respond. 

If I don't hear back from, which would mean zero communication, should I contact CS to have it canceled? Problem is risk having to deal with CS.   

If guest continue to make reservations without any first message I'm not sure how to keep hosting. 

88 Replies 88

@Jennifer1773 

Appreciate the info. 

@Emilia42 

"And I will admit that it does shock me that IB hosts would not have an initial booking message requirement set in place."

That's because Airbnb already required guest to include a message when making a reservation. I posted a link above but happy go post it again.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.28.54 PM.png

When I first created an account and my listing 16 months ago the option to include a supplemental question was as convoluted as it is now. 

I also posted this above, sorry to repeat, but will include a little red arrow. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 9.24.25 AM.png

This is the first time I've changed my settings since creating my account before hosting a single guest. My perspective now is very different. But in the past 16 months I've booked over 250 reservations that all included a message, and when I first created this post had 5 of 7 last reservations not include a first message. 

It would be nice to get further clarification. 

Thanks again for the support. And sorry there is still some confusion.  

Maybe it would be more helpful if someone else started a new topic about some of the remaining discrepancies. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

@Colleen253 @Ann72 @Liv 

Thanks @John5097 . I admit it's all still clear as mud to me. @Liv said "That's something that is being tested on a small set of users to get data to decide how Airbnb will move forward."

Why do they need to do testing on this? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. What shifty business is afoot here?

@Emilia42 @Ann72 @Jennifer1773 

@Colleen253  No kidding. Why would they need to do a test about booking messages, which of course every host wants, and why would they not inform the hosts they are using as guinea pigs that their guests are no longer receiving this message? 

The blatant disrespect for hosts seems to ramp up every day. If this is how Catherine Powell is helping hosts, I suggest she go back to Disney. All her much publicized role has consisted of, as far as hosts are concerned, is posting videos about how thrilled she is to announce something that is supposed to be good for hosts, that in fact isn't actually implemented.

And where exactly is our host advisory board and what are they doing? They seem to be some clandestine group that there has purposely been no channel set up to communicate with.

No one at all is representing the interests of hosts, that is patently obvious.

@Sarah977 

Sorry I meant to tag you in my last comment but was already so tired last night. I think this all provided some constructive feedback. There could still be some miscommunication as well. 

My guess is that any changes could take time to implement as there must be a lot of programming and computer code that would go into system. Even the executives could be frustrated at how long it takes. 

Sometimes mistakes happen too and I don't think it was anthing intentional. Of course many host are dissatisfied with the usual policies such as pet policy where it can be used as a loophole that put host at a disadvantage. Well, maybe not the best example but my communication skills are kind of limited. 

On a side note and to help put things into perspective for me, I recently participated in my first Zoom meeting and everyone was so smart and talented.  I would much prefer just listening and wathing as that's not my best skill set. But I was so impressed with how considerate and nice everyone was. 

It would give me anxiety to be too critical of anyone. I have so much other stuff going on right now. Just got a notice from IRS so have to prepare documents for my accountant as IRS also made a mistake. If it can happen to them it can happen to ABB. 

Hopefully we will see more improvements and this was all probably good feedback for everyone. I've had such a great experience with all my guest. It sucks this caused my first get to be canceled. It really means a lot to me for each and every guest to have a positive experience. 

@Colleen253  

They should at least let host know what's going on, that the settings have been changed. 

The entire time I have been hosting I was aware that it was a requirement for guest to include a first message and I mentioned that to each the guest that didn't. 

As others have mentioned it could be even more disastrous, as other host rely on first message and communication even more. 

Its late so won't mention some other thoughts. This was a blow to my confidence with Airbnb. Everyting was dialed in and smooth, all perfect record, everyone was happy. I'm back on track but have 4 guest who got off to rocky start.    

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Colleen253 @Emilia42 @Ann72 @Jennifer1773 @Liv @Sarah977 

Sorry final post. Just so you know I'm not making this up. This are two screen shots of my message with the guest. This is why I think it was a mistake not to inform host of changes like this. 

I tried to phrase it as best I could. But got things off to a rocky start and CS canceled one. The other 3-4 responded immediately and apologized. None knew they were supposed to include a message so wasn't their fault. 

n

nScreen Shot 2021-06-06 at 7.18.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-06 at 7.25.41 AM.png

Also this one. Third party booking. This was second or third one. Of course I didn't get any message so how would I know. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 8.42.53 AM.png

And the very first one about 3-4 weeks ago, I couldn't find. I got a notifaceion that a reservation was made. "Congrats such and such just made a reservation" but went to the message and it there was no message and it had been canceled by Airbnb. Two hours later there was a message "Thank you!" by guest and the reservation was made. So all in all this little experiment has been very disruptive for me. I so thankful for the support and haven't found a way to get back on track. However think I'm gong to get marked down in the review for one or more of these. 

Edit typo correction.. "Im so thankful for the support and and have found a way to get back on track." 

@John5097 I wouldn't worry about the review. By the time the guest arrives and has a wonderful stay, they will forget all about the booking process. But I agree, it is not fair that Airbnb causes this confusion which then makes the "new, easy booking process" more difficult because hosts are left badgering guests for a simple response. 

@Emilia42 

yeah I’m not going to worry about it. So far guest have found enough things to like, that outweighs anything they don’t like. That’s all a host can do is the best they can, and keep making improvements. Even though they have to include a message now it’s more clear with improved instructions. Glad all this got sorted out and easy fix. I can understand how someone who hasn’t actually used IB wouldn’t realize how critical the first message is. Thanks again! 

I know this is an older thread, but is it still the case that guests aren't getting clear info about providing a message when they book? (I read the first couple pages and last page of comments). What are they actually getting when they book? I always get a message, but sometimes it's so basic that I have to ask for more info to feel comfortable. 

@John5097  do you still have IB turned off? Any new thoughts, and what would you recommend from your experience. Or anyone else.

@Jennifer1351 

I was notified by Airbnb that my property had been instant booked for my last booking.

I about 15 minutes later I received a very informative message from the guest giving the reason for the booking and providing information about their two dogs.

I wondered about the time delay but assumed that it was due to website or internet lag.

I guess I need to disable instant book. I might not be so lucky next time.

It looks like Airbnb’s policy is “Grab the money ASAP and let the host sort out the details.”

@Brian2036  I think that happens when I get a booking, sometimes the message shows up a little later. I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned about.  Make sure you have the message requirement turned on and you should get messages - glad to get that reminder from John and this thread. 

@Jennifer1351 
For me this was a recent change or bug where I suddenly wasn't getting any first message. The fix was changing the settings to requiring a first message in host settings. (There was some confusion with the wording but it works and all guest now include some kind of message. I'm pretty specific about what to include.)

I only turned IB off for guest with no reviews. However I was just thinking that I would like to turn IB off completely and just have guest request to book. I haven't had any problems with IB though. Mine would book anyway, and every now and then, a guest can be a little awkward and decide not to communicate at all after check in, and maybe would say "thank you" if they knew the host approves or denies every reservation. 

@John5097 Thanks for the clarification. I just checked and I have the message requirement on. Thanks for the reminder about that. I'm often thinking that I should take IB off, but then I'm not sure how much it would affect my placement in searches. I prefer booking requests but then I don't end up taking IB off (except for guest reviews and government ID). Glad you got that figured out, it's pretty stressful when you don't get any information or even when they just give a little.