Please Help me understand

Bryanna7
Level 2
Central Point, OR

Please Help me understand

So I have been hosting for a little over year, and I’ve enjoyed it for the most part... until it comes to my moderate cancellation policy. Three times in less then a month I’ve been pressured into refunding guest, the first two I gave full refunds to and the third I gave a partial refund. The first time I was contacted by and “Airbnb ambassador” telling me they totally understand my decision, but would I be willing to refund the guest? I gave a firm no thinking that was the end of the situation. Then the guest contacted me telling me that I was being harsh for not refunding her, next thing I know I gave her a full refund. The other two times after that same thing, “the ambassador understands my decision”,but somehow I end up refunding otherwise I’m a horrible person for not doing so.
I have two questions... are guest being prompted to try to get refunds and how do I stick up for myself when it comes to this.

Airbnb should back the host! where’s my “support ambassador”?

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bryanna7 Airbnb are experts at psychological manipulation. And guests can play into that. You need to simply stand firm.  It might help for you to reframe the way you look at it. Take the emotion out of the equation, and look at it from a a purely ‘business’ standpoint. You have a duty to uphold the terms of the contract the guest agreed  to at time of booking.  It also helps to reiterate those terms, and the fact that the guest agreed to them, when conversing with both Airbnb and the guest. It’s highly annoying to have to put up with these antics, and waste so much  time defending yourself , but just stick to your guns, and have a battle plan.

@Bryanna7  You don't owe "support ambassador" anything but a one-word answer: NO.

What you can tell the guest:  "I'm sticking with the policy that you agreed to when you booked. But feel free to present your booking receipt for reimbursement from your travel insurance provider." 

And remember that once a booking is cancelled, you're no longer obliged to maintain contact with the guest, and if they're bothering you, you can block them.

@Anonymous I completely agree with “You don't owe "support ambassador" anything but a one-word answer: NO”. However, they don’t seem to ever understand the meaning of NO! I’ve found that having a rock solid rebuttal the first time cuts down on what otherwise ends up being repeated attempts at coercion.
@Bryanna7 

@Colleen253  They sound like the Harvey Weinsteins of customer service.

I haven't been on the receiving end of this kind of hardcore coercion from them (I wonder if they target female hosts more heavily for that) but if it were to happen, I'd just point out one thing:

Airbnb has the resources to issue a travel credit out of its own pocket, if they feel the guest deserves more than their agreement entitles them to.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

All you have to do is say no @Bryanna7 when Airbnb or one of their ambassador (ie hosts) asks you to refund the guest more than they are entitled to under your cancellation policy.

This is what I say  to Airbnb " XXX has blocked my calendar for the last five months, his reasons for cancelling do not meet your criteria for getting a penalty free cancellation under your EC policy.

"If Airbnb wants to give the guest more money back than the guest is entitled to under my policy,  that is your choice. I am not authorising this to come from me as the host." Then I hit the decline button.

To the guest I just refer them back to Airbnb. @Bryanna7 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Bryanna7 The easiest thing about saying NO in these circumstances is that there is a big, thick screen in between you and the guest. Very rare for them to jump out and grab you or give you the saddest of puppy dog faces. You have policies for a reason. You can tell the guest that you would be happy to give them a refund if you are able to rebook the dates. (It would be rather greedy if you sold the room twice and profited from both reservations.) But if not, then your policy is your policy. You can blame the potential guest who never booked because their wasn't enough time. 

Bryanna7
Level 2
Central Point, OR

Thank you all for being so helpful. I will definitely take this advice!