Possible scammer situation. New to AirBnB. Please advise!

Claire1782
Level 2
Athens, GA

Possible scammer situation. New to AirBnB. Please advise!

Howdy fellow hosts!  We just listed a home for the first time on Air BnB last week so we are brand new to this!  We have already gotten a few bookings so we are off to a good start.  Yesterday we got a booking inquiry that seems fishy. Would y'all mind taking a look at the message thread (below) and letting me know if you think this is a legitimate request or if it is a scam?  Background: The renter wants to book for six weeks. They selected "1 person" as the number of guests.  They joined AirBnB this year and have zero host reviews.  I am wondering if this request is legitimate and that communication is just awkward because things are being lost in translation.    Also, if you think it is a scam, could someone please explain to me what would be the gain for the scammer in this situation? 

Thank you!!!

Claire

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 10.42.49 AM.png

Claire Campbell
12 Replies 12
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Claire1782 This is not necessarily a scam…yet. The one exception I make to my 3rd-party booking rule is if it is an employer or travel agent doing the booking, but only if I do complete vetting of the company, and get the full names, IDs, and contact info of the guests.

If you proceed, though, proceed with caution. It sounds like he is just starting his company, and as you said, there is a language issue. Get full leases if over 28 days, and a large security deposit. Not the security deposit you enter online in Airbnb, but a real deposit. You should also run a background check on this person, and maybe a few of his employees.

And of course, the 40 employee thing is out; he’s probably going to have to divide them up. Also, do NOT accept any transactions or funds off of the platform. If he asks to send a check, wire money, etc., that’s a very big indication that this is a scam. Also, communicate only on Airbnb, not WhatsApp, phone, etc.

Most hosts here will tell you to avoid this transaction, with good reason. However, you can protect yourself and things can work out with careful due diligence.  Just go through the vetting process as if this were a long-term rental.

Whoops, I just reread it and noticed he is asking for contact information. That is sounding more like a scam. Tell him it’s Airbnb policy to keep all communications on the platform.

Thank you so much for this info.  So, if I am understanding you, it sounds like signing someone up for a long term rental on Air BnB needs to involve careful consideration and significant vetting.  Since we are new to this, I think maybe we should just get a few months of regular short rentals under our belt before we take long term tenants.  I really appreciate your response because at some point in the future I would like to have longer renters stay here.  Thank you!

Claire Campbell

@Claire1782 “Since we are new to this, I think maybe we should just get a few months of regular short rentals under our belt before we take long term tenants.”

You are on the right track there, although I would suggest you avoid long term bookings through Airbnb as it’s not the best platform for them. Have a browse on the forum here with a key word search and you’ll learn a lot that will dissuade you.

With a new listing, you are best to stick to shorter stays until you learn the ropes. Amassing a greater number of reviews early on is advantageous for several reasons, as well.

As to the potential booking, there are just way too many red flags, and potential for problems. Decline it.

Gotcha! I agree that we should stick to short term rentals and building good reviews. Thank you for the advice!

Claire Campbell

@Claire 1782 Airbnb currently offer a workers booking system . suggest to him to go through that . H . I used to do these and what it is ,is that the'boss ' has forty employees that he needs to distribute  thru a number of houses. Sometimes people who do not have excellent reading and writing skills in English do have them on the phone. Ring and find out , also institute a weekly cleaning fee somehow because long term wear and tear on linens etcetera can be high. different products will need to be supplied as well. maybe an area for boots and shoes and a laundry basket per room . make sure one person is nominated as your liason person and has your number. These groups while hard on the house are at least out most days and not partying as such . But certainly not suitable unless you have a whole house. Sometimes a person will be switched in and out so an arrangement to keep you up to date has to be instituted. communicate communicate communicate . on reflection this is not for newbies All the best H

Also the people in the house will not have good English skills so a liason , often the person with the best skills is super important .warning . this is a third party booking so should go thru Airbnb s workers system. Newbies are often targeted because you are unaware, but by the same token the booker has workers who need accommodation in a foreign country H . 

Another thing is the amount of care the person doing the booking is prepared to take . If you want to be a den mother or are the strong mother  or father figure then this is for you. these are often young men ,far from home with few language skills and often homesick which is also why their boss wants them in a home environment because they do have'a duty of care" H

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

@Claire1782   Hi, I started hosting Nov 1 2021 after having professional landlord experience. I feel I made a mistake accepting two 30+ day bookings (one 60 days, the other 40 days) 

if I were you I would decline all bookings longer than 14 or 21 nights, something like that. So you have an opportunity to learn. 

Both my long stay guests caused a lot of extra work, even though I provided maid service every two weeks.

Shorter stays are just less work and I make more money 

just my 2 cents …

Gotcha! I think short term is best for us right now. And I was actually wondering about whether or not people provide weekly cleaning for longer term renters. I suite your response. Everyone has been so helpful on here!

Claire Campbell
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Claire1782   There is a very big difference between being a short term rental host and a long term rental host.  AirBnB is a platform best used for short term rentals.  If you wish to become a long term rental host, find out about the rules, regulations and renter rights that exist in the location of your property.  Then, and only then, should you decide to be a long term host.  

Thank you! I definitely don’t have any interest in being a landlord so I think we’ll just stick with short term rentals for now.

Claire Campbell
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claire1782  Do not take 3rd party bookings at all. 

The only people who can make bookings for employees are those that have business accounts and this should be evident on their profiles.

This guy sounds totally clueless if he thinks he's going to find a single family dwelling that accommodates 40. 

Red flags all over this.

You said this was an Inquiry. Don't waste declines on Inquiries- all you need to do on those is message back. Then forget about it. It will expire in 24 hours unless the guest withdraws it first.