Posting star rating review guidelines for guests -- a good idea?

Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

Posting star rating review guidelines for guests -- a good idea?

Hi - we've hosted our place for a little over a year but didn't realize what a valuable resource this Host Circle is until recently! I appreciate all the guidance and feedback available here from hosts who take time out of their busy lives to help others. We recently stayed in an Airbnb at Oak Island, North Carolina (booked by our daughter and son-in-law), and found this ratings "advice" on a magnet affixed to the refrigerator. I'd never seen this list before.  Is this something everyone else knows about but is just new to me? Do you thiAirBnb-ratings--lowrez-star-guidelines.jpgnk it's a good idea to post this or something like it?

26 Replies 26

@Stephanie365 Forbes Magazine Airbnb reviews is a good read giving a different aspect for hosts. Thanks and not blocked by Airbnb

@Stephanie365 

thanks for sharing that information 🙏🏻

Annie
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Hal3292 we have debated doing something like this over the years but come down on the side of "no" time and again. It does seem a bit like what we used to call "grade grubbing" in school.

I would feel a tad cheated if a place had a great reputation and then I found out it was because the hosts were begging for 5 stars. On the flip side, the review system is patently absurd (value and location being 2 ratings that need to go to the trash can IMHO) so educating guests is not a terrible idea overall. Its just how to do that gracefully that begs the question. So far I have not figured that out. But a sign like this is a bit much to me. I understand the need, I get the frustration that hosts have, but I think this is a bit....transactional. 

Many guests play house at our space. I don't know if they want to mull over ratings the entire time they are there. Its probably best not to leave reminders that shatter their illusion of "living anywhere." 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It would make my toes curl to see this stuck on a fridge, or anywhere else for that matter. Tacky, and then some. 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Hal3292  I quite like the "advice" because it's true and funny but I wouldn't put up a sign like this, partly because I don't like signs in general, and partly because I don't like talking about reviews, in general. But that's just me.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Hal3292  Oh, just remembered, we're going to be guests soon... and I probably wouldn't appreciate seeing that kind of advice on the fridge door... 😉

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Hal3292 I wouldn’t post this in my house for a few reasons. First it gives the impression that the guest needs to be informed or schooled, I wouldn’t appreciate that assumption by the host as a guest. Second it’s a bit manipulative, and I do not respond well to manipulation myself, I’m sure there are some guests just like I am. Third, it comes across as desperate. This is the trickiest one, surely you don’t want your guests to think you are desperate. If you’ve ever had a demanding guest, no need to fan the flames! This is like showing all your cards in a game of poker…there are a few guests out there that I wouldn’t want to give the upper hand to. Ultimately it depends on your hosting style and some hosts are very successful using this technique! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Different reasoning but I’ve always thought this was a bad idea bc it can showcase to a crummy guest just how much a bad review can hurt. Not an idea that’s wise to plant. IMO

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Hal3292  The big question for me is, what was the rating of the host who posted this magnet?  I wonder if their rating has gone down or up since putting it up.

@Ann72The superhost in question has consistently stellar reviews for a number of properties he has along the beach. I found several things during our stay that didn't meet my own standards as a host -- but I guess if your property is on the beach, that puts people in a five-star mood. The magnet looked to be a few years old, and it was one of many things tacked to the refrigerator, so I'm guessing it isn't having much of an impact these days -- if it ever did.

As a host, if I saw this on a host discussion board or on the CC.... simply as host humor, it's funny and I can laugh at it. But as a guest, if I saw this posted somewhere in the home I'm staying in for me to see...... then not so funny and rather in bad taste IMO. 

@Stephanie365 @Susan990 @Laurelle3 

I also have that Forbes article printed out and in my Home Manual 😄

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

I think there would be value in having something like this and I may start using this in my guest book.  Most don't understand that 4 stars isn't good.  That's 80% on an exam, barely passing.