Refund a guest because of COVID

Answered!
Debbie846
Level 2
Mooloolaba, Australia

Refund a guest because of COVID

Hi All, I hope some one can help me , I had a guest wanting to cancel because of a out break of COVID in GREATER SYDNEY and he said i had to do it my end so i did , and now Airbnb have blocked my calendar and i incurred a fee - this is so unfair , as i was trying to do the right thing for the guest , and refund him..how do i unblock my dates and reverse the fee ...I spoke to Admin and they said well lucky it was only a couple of days and it was only a small fee- ( how small i dont even know that } what can i do ...please help - its like i canteven ring Airbnb as i cant find a phone number anywhere...kindest regards Debbie

Top Answer

@Debbie846  As @Mark116  alluded to, you may have keep trying, with several different reps, to get this fixed. Don't give up. Airbnb CS are outsourced call center workers who know very little, understand very little, and just want to close a case asap. It often takes several tries before you find success with one. 

Spend a bit of time reading the help articles on the website, and on this forum, so you are well informed on how things work re hosting. Doing that will save you from headaches like this down the road. Best of luck 🙂

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Debbie846 

The guest should have cancelled the reservation. Never cancel a reservation on request of a guest.

If you cancel as a host, you will receive penalties form Airbnb:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for...

Exceptions for COVID:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

BTW:

".I spoke to Admin and they said well lucky it was only a couple of days and it was only a small fee"

I do not understand this answer from CS

@Emiel1 "I do not understand this answer from CS."

Rarely does Airbnb CS ever make sense. 🙄

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Debbie846  Why would you listen to the guest????  You will have to contact Airbnb, show them the messages from the guest where he says he needs to cancel due to COVID and hope that Airbnb will unblock the dates and reverse the fee and remove the 'host cancelled' notice on your listing.  It may take you longer than you think to get this accomplished.  NEVER ever cancel on a guest's behalf, if they want to cancel, they need to do it.  Good luck.

@Debbie846  As @Mark116  alluded to, you may have keep trying, with several different reps, to get this fixed. Don't give up. Airbnb CS are outsourced call center workers who know very little, understand very little, and just want to close a case asap. It often takes several tries before you find success with one. 

Spend a bit of time reading the help articles on the website, and on this forum, so you are well informed on how things work re hosting. Doing that will save you from headaches like this down the road. Best of luck 🙂

Debbie846
Level 2
Mooloolaba, Australia

Hi All , I am just getting used to working my way around As i am New at all this !!! ie; community / help / etc...Airbnb Did reverse my blocked Calendar- I have now learned a Lesson DONT listen to the guest when they say you have to Cancel on behalf of them...After i did cancel for him/Guest { which is also a Host} he then told me that Airbnb will block my Calendar-Gee Nice one !!! - Any way Airbnb Helped me - Thank-you to all who replied and Airbnb for Listening ... Debbie X

Unethical behavior on refunds