Shutting down at the end of the year

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Shutting down at the end of the year

Hi All

Firstly, I  want to thank all the regular contributors here, from whom I have learned so much.

Secondly, I want to thank the moderators who have done much to make the Community Center a great place to interact.   (loved the games, even if I couldn't participate in group chats)

We've all had a lot to deal with the last two years.

Shutdowns, cancellations, cleaning protocols, mask mandates (or not), local restrictions etc etc.

But when I have been open for business, folks have, generally speaking, been great, and very appreciative, travellers.

Now that things are opening up again, a new traveller has been born. Grumpy, intolerant, complaining, low-budget-high-expectations.   I've always run a budget listing - I don't offer the Ritz Carlton, but I don't charge for that either.

I don't pretend to understand what goes on in peoples' heads, but I've sadly reached the conclusion that I can no longer manage the workload and the stress.   

I'm tired of cleaning bathrooms after other people, worrying about whether the shower is draining fast enough, or whether someone will find a stray hair or critter-without-a-passport, if the beds are all equally comfortable, if it's not at the "Goldilocks" temperature .  Above all, I'm tired of being reviewed. 

Airbnb was a phenomenal way to earn extra money when I was struggling. My work,  thankfully, has bounced back, this year, in a big way.     It's not without its own stresses, but I have to make choices about where to devote my energy.

So, finally, thank you, everyone, that has helped the load to be lighter by sharing your advice and your stories, and commiserating when things were tough. You have no idea how much it has been appreciated.

I'm running out my calendar of existing bookings to the end of this year, and that's it for me. 

Good luck to those of you still operating, or planning to re-open, Superhost status or otherwise.

All the best !

Michelle

31 Replies 31
Amy180
Level 3
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

I agree with you 100%.  Lately all the guests have been whiny little brats that will complain about everything.  I too am going to close my account and likely sell the property.  I have had people complain about the fake grass being too hot (it’s the desert in the summer!!), the dishwasher being too loud oh and it’s difficult to remove the cover on the outdoor TV in the backyard gazebo…….. yes an outdoor TV in the gazebo!!! I am sick and tired of the guests having all the power and the hosts having none.  AirBnB sides with the guests every time even though without hosts they wouldn’t have a business.  The sense of entitlement by the current generation of renters, as a host is intolerable.  I am right behind you.  Good luck to those of you that want to keep being raped by ridiculous fees and entitled guests all while the AirBnB CEOs get rich off you but don’t support you.

Osama12
Level 2
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt

Hello,

I think that we need to decrease stress when we host guests, so we need to take the following actions:

1- Ask guests to read, understand and accept the house rules.

2- Ask guests to clean your house, make the beds and put everything in its original place before they leave your house.

3- Hire a co-host who is qualified for this job. Perhaps we need two co-hosts in some cases.

Have a nice day!