Summer release- who is this for? Target audience? Who benefits?

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Summer release- who is this for? Target audience? Who benefits?

Where do I start?

50 Homes Listed at the top of the Screen-

So 50 types of homes at the top of a screen to choose from?! I DO NOT believe this reflects the way that most people search and book stays! Someone, (hint Brian Chesky), has lost touch.  Location and dates btw are still at the very top of the screen when you search.  Why is that? Because that is how regular people decide their trip.  Yes, in that particular order.  One decides what is the desired location, i.e. city, town, etc and what are the dates.  Not rocket science! The several different kind of stays near the top of the screen looks visually overwhelming, very messy.  Aren't most of Airbnb stays basement rentals, apartments/condos and single family homes no matter what materials the homes are fabricated of and no matter the exterior design? I find it odd that if there are going to be 50 different kinds of properties that the most basic, most widely sought after and hosted are not included in that list.  Is this making too much sense?! As a traveler using the Airbnb I do not like the new search design.  It is superficial and unnecessarily distracting.

Why is Airbnb placing so much money on design and marketing  focused on uniqueness of rentals? I don't believe the base of Airbnb users are concerned with unique stays, particularly not at those expensive prices! Maybe it's because Airbnb is fearful that hotels, like Marriot. are catching up and may bypass Airbnb all together: https://mashable.com/article/marriott-airbnb-competitor-homes-and-villas .  

A big problem that Airbnb has to tackle is there is no uniformity in host standards.  That especially includes CLEANLINESS & HYGIENE.   This issue resulted in my cancelling my recent booking, as a guest,  after one night's stay.  The rental was unsanitary and filthy.   I booked a stay recently in a cottage that was overrun with mice and bugs! Pots and lids had mice feces, alive and dead bugs.  One of the two mice I saw came within inches of my feet.  Despite my mentioning to the Airbnb rep initially, the amount I paid, the rep miscalculated the refund.  It took nearly a week for me to get the error addressed and refunded.  As with any refund Airbnb makes you fight for every last penny you deserve.  Shameful. I am glad at least that Airbnb eventually refunded me 100% of my money. The Airbnb first tried to discount my refund minus one night stay.  I reminded him that I did not agree to book a cottage that had mice, feces and bugs nor will I be charged for that experience! !That cottage was booking at $135/night.  My refund didn't include my time and gas expense to drive to that rental.  It was over 2.5 hours away.  (Gas is not cheap these days!)   As a care-giver needing to take a much needed break I was exhausted by not sleeping well, in that mice infested cottage, and then having to defend my refund with Airbnb AND afterwards drive home an additional 2.5 hours - it was very upsetting.  Not one of the rentals that I have stayed in as a guest was at least "hotel standards of clean. "   A majority of Airbnb's where I stayed were dusty, dirty and sometimes down right filthy! Regardless of listings I have found this to be true. Yet, a number of these hosts' listings state that they follow and meet Airbnb's Covid cleaning standards.  That has not been my overall experience.

Although I was given a 10% discount for my inconvenience with the booking I am considering Marriot for a guest stay in one of their homeowner rentals because of my most recent Airbnb guest experience. It seems Marriott may have better cleanliness and quality assurance standards with their hosts.  We shall see...

Split Stays-

My thoughts on the split stay rollout? This practice could screw hosts financially who accept and benefit from long stay bookings.   It would require more frequent cleanings, too.  Hosts who offer long stays may not want to do that as frequently with each new booking.  Cleanings cost hosts money. 

Split stays would benefit some hosts who don't have exact dates available or who don't accept longer stays.

I have a hunch on why Airbnb may be pushing split stays.  They want to engage as many hosts as possible in bookings.  They may fear hosts leaving their platform because they are not making enough money/not getting enough bookings through Airbnb and/or because hosts may feel, as many have shared in this forum, that they are not respected/included in decisions that affect their earnings.  Perhaps this split stay idea is  a way for Airbnb to bump up the numbers of bookings, literally doubling them so that it sounds impressive to a board and investors.  Airbnb is still not at preCovid booking numbers and revenue.  This may be a way to manipulate numbers to appear the company is doing better than it is.

Side note- wondering does Airbnb get more money per booking by splitting stays when/if each stay is shorter, under a month. Whereas if the entire  booking was made solely with one host and the timeframe is long enough for a the hosts's offering a weekly or monthly discount?  In this scenario does the host and Airbnb make less money on extended stay, single bookings as opposed to splits?  If the total amount of days are two months or longer how are two hosts' different monthly discounts calculated? If each host have monthly discounts on their listings? Split stays seem like they have the potential of screwing hosts and being logistically and mathematically problematic.  I will see how this plays out.  I would have concern as a guest being offered split stays.  Each booking is risky.  A guest doesn't know what to expect when he/she books or checks in.  One rental experience could be fantastic and the other a dud but the need for consistent, quality accommodations, for work, is essential for most. When a guest is searching for a rental for work they are looking at essential criteria.  Corporate guests do not book on a whim. They are concerned with distance to office or place of employment if they have to check in or meet in person some of the days.  Also, there may be concerns over WiFi speeds. for Zoom and conferencing, access to kitchen/restaurant close by, potential for noise- work/sleep disturbances, possibly access to public transportation and costs.   When corporate guests eventually identify a place that has what they are seeking why would they up and move to another location especially if it's a long stay? This split stay seems  to be more focused on vacationers and not rooted in good ole common sense for workers. 

This leads to my final words. Appeal to your base, Brian C. or you will lose them.  Hosts and guests.

33 Replies 33

@Huma0  Grand piano should be an amenity, like pool, hot tub, chef kitchen, not a category.  I vaguely recall there was once a more straightforward way to add search terms like this, but Airbnb improved that out of existence.

Given how many people are saying their beach front cabin doesn't show in the relevant categories, or people doing a search in Germany and being shown places in France, it looks like this is typical Airbnb terrible execution, that wasn't beta tested properly and that doesn't really work for the majority.

Last time I did any searches was for a short weekend getaway several months ago.  I think I looked at Saratoga Springs NY, Charleston, SC and Newport, RI.  The search results were all over the place, if I put in too many filters nothing came up, too few, all kinds of random places, and so I just gave up.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, grand piano is an amenity, not a category of Airbnb, but the same could be said about a pool, I guess (only it needs to be an amazing pool) or a chef's kitchen? 

Historic properties is a category, but needs to be renamed to 'historic properties in France only'. 

I was interested to see there is a category called 'iconic cities'. I clicked on that and a bunch of listings in London came up. So, I switched to map view and it seems that South London (where I am located) doesn't count as part of iconic London. There is nothing in my area, which is just outside of Zone 1, which is very central, but many listings in far less central parts of London, so it's not based on proximity to central London sights.

This is super annoying. I've tried several different types of searches today and they all failed miserably. 

So what about superhosts’ properties? Ones that don’t fall under these designated “house themes?”

My sense is homes like ours is Airbnb’s base for revenue, it’s largest number of rentals, at least in the US.  Do these listings get secondary status? How does that play into the super host rewards program? Superhosts  who work our butts off to build a business that travelers value and that exemplify our high standards may again be getting screwed.  Our house is a mid century modern house.  So not historical probably.  It may fall under design or just devoid of a special category or theme. It seems like every year or so Airbnb is trying to elevate some superhost properties and not premiere others.  So essentially Airbnb has no equity or loyalty towards superhosts.  It seems it’s frequently after featuring a shiny new toy.  This one seems onerous and make believe- as does the imagined guests who are wanting it. 

@Mark116 @Huma0 

Every winter I get a handful of inquiries from traveling nurses. They usually want to book for an average of 6 weeks. I would never cancel on an existing guest so I have to tell them that the dates aren't consecutively available but I could host them between x and x or x weeks out of their time in the area. No one is ever interested. 

Also, how to you search for this spilt feature? I can't find it anywhere.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Likewise. I have hosted some travelling nurses who really liked my listings so wanted to make them their base in London, but I never have availability for their full stay. I have offered to accommodate them for part of it but they are not interested, even if they are really, really struggling to find somewhere decent. They will take a listing that they don't actually like very much rather than have to move around, which I totally understand.

Not sure how you find the split feature. From what I understand, it's not something a guest can specifically search for. Rather, the article about it said that it would automatically be applied when a guest searched for a long stay but couldn't find a listing for the whole of it. That's where I don't trust the Airbnb system. My fear is that it's going to start showing guests  split stay options instead of the long term options that ARE available to them.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Sorry, just read the section about split stays again. Apparently it's automatically applied anytime a guest searches for a stay of one week plus, but at the same times says:

"The Split Stays feature adds 40% more listings to search results when guests search for stays of 14 nights or longer."

Oh great. So, instead of presenting guests with the options that work for the dates they requested, it's going to show them around 40% more listings, but those 40% don't fit their dates. How is that useful?

If Airbnb wants to offer the few guests who might actually find it helpful the option, why not have a filter they can tick instead. E.g. "Not finding what you're looking for? Have you considered splitting your stay between two listings? Click here."?

Why bombard guests with listings that are not available for their dates and pushing them to have to move in the middle of their stay which is really inconvenient for most?

It also says: "Each Split Stay pairs two properties that match the location, property type and amenities from the search."

Well, apparently not. As @Anonymous has discovered, it doesn't even show listings in the same country!

@Huma0 

Good point, Airbnb should show only the listings which are the exact match to filters applied and then ask the guest if he wants to see other properties with some of the filters missing. Not just include them in the results, it looks like click and bite fraud.

A few years ago I was looking for a pet friendly apartment with parking. It was out of season when most Airbnb was closed on the coast so I only got 2 results. I chose one of them. Today the same search shows 50 listings... but only the first 2 match my search. As a result, guests book or send requests for listings that do not meet their needs and then rate the host with a low accuracy rating.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

@Stephanie came back to me yesterday on another thread explaining that the split stays would only be offered when the guest was unable to find what they were looking for for their entire stay: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Tools-you-can-use-for-hosting-longer-stays/m-p/16...

However, this is contrary to what is written in the Airbnb article, which says that guests who search for one week + would automatically be shown split stays and that guests searching for two weeks would see 40% more results in their searches.

So, I am still not sure how it works. Hopefully it is the first version, not the second. When I search as a guest, I don't want to see a bunch of listings outside of my criteria. The only time I would like to see that is if there are hardly any options that fit my criteria and, even then, there are certain things I would not want to compromise on. However, of course you and I actually properly read the listings. I can see though that the guests that don't, might just take it as given that all the properties shown to them fit the filters they are searching under.

I did a mock search here, along with amenities I was seeking: https://www.airbnb.com/s/Silver-Spring--Maryland--United-States/homes?tab_id=home_tab&refinement_pat...

The properties appear singularly first but look downward where it says "One trip two stays."  This is how Airbnb is setting it up.  Then when I clicked on the first property this is how the page opened/looked: 

https://www.airbnb.com/split-stays/6029182?distance_in_km=0.6&location=Silver%20Spring%2C%20Maryland...

If you do a search on your listing and include the amenities you'll see how it's set up.

@Mandrake-And-Karen0 

Thanks. I did several searches and no split options came up. My listings just didn't come up for those dates, not having full availability. I guess there were enough options with the full date range available.

I did try to narrow the search criteria considerably to see if any split stays were offered, but still none. It just gave me results outside of the area I was searching in instead. 

Perhaps as @Anonymous suggested, it's not been rolled out in all areas yet.

Yes that could be.  Airbnb may be rolling it out/testing split stays in densely populated areas where listings are in close proximity to each other.  That makes sense. 

@Huma0  The split stay thing is really clunky. The brilliant algorithm gave me a suggestion for a stay that was split between places hundreds of miles apart, in two different countries, over one week. What fun.

I don't think anyone actually asked for this. My guess is that they're pulling out all the stops to keep people from leaving the website when their dates don't deliver a good match. Maybe it'll help some hosts fill in some tricky midweek vacancies, but I don't see a benefit to guests. If you want to move around and stay in different places, you just make separate bookings, and if you don't find an Airbnb for the date range you want, you just shop around on other platforms. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Oh great. So the split stay thing is just as clunky as the category searches. At least that means that (unless they fix this) I am not going to lose bookings for long term guests as I'm pretty sure the ones coming to London don't want to commute from another country during their stay!

Perhaps it could be useful to guests who have really left it to the last minute or want to visit a location with a limited amount of Airbnbs, but again we are talking about a minority.

The thing is, for the few who end up needing to split their stay, they just book their first choice for the dates that it's available and then search for somewhere else for the rest of the dates. It's not that complicated. I'm pretty sure that would be easier than a search function that takes you to the wrong country.

That was my point.  Why would Airbnb make split stays the default and make guests “opt out” of a long term stay that is available for all dates needed? 
It’s pandering to a small base or an imagined base of travelers.

Oh and the pricing- I don’t think millennials who don’t or can’t afford homes would have interest in unique high priced stays.  A mortgage would probably be much cheaper. This is absolutely ridiculous! We have to find other options outside or or in addition to Airbnb.  If this implodes our income is at stake!

@Mandrake-And-Karen0  I'm not seeing split stays come up as the default. But they're definitely being pushed higher up in search results than stays that actually fit the parameters you enter, which I find really annoying. It's like, come on search! You had one job!

I can't really tell where you're coming from with your millennial economic theory there, but I wasn't suggesting that people who book unique stays are literally homeless. But part of the appeal of a vacation is the ability to slip into a lifestyle for a few days that you don't have the resources to sustain for the whole year. That one big family vacation might cost as much as a monthly mortgage payment, but you're not doing it every month of the year, so it's apples and oranges. What's troubling to me is that for a lot of these people, especially the young ones, the fantasy they're trying to live out on vacation is not some kind of glamorous life of champagne and cocaine and banging movie stars, it's just getting to hang around in a nice house for a little while. Comfortable domestic life is supposed to be the baseline, not the thing you save up to simulate on holiday.