Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Superhost 1.pngHello everyone,

Happy New Year to you all. 

As we enter into a new year of hosting, I’m pleased to say we have also reached the next Superhost assessment. We will evaluate your past year’s performance up until January 1st 2020 to determine your Superhost status, which will appear on your profile for the next 3 months. 

To recap, how will this work:

• Every hosts’ performance will be reviewed between January 1st - 14th, 2020. It can take up to 14 days to account for reviews written towards the end of the month as we calculate Superhost status.

• You will receive an email confirming your new Superhost status between January 7th - 14th! (So remember to keep an eye out)

• As a reminder, we calculate Superhost status based on a set of criteria, looking back at your past year of hosting activity. There’s no minimum tenure required for becoming a Superhost. 

*Please note, during this time, you may see your dashboard update to the next Superhost 365-day window, which will be assessed in April 2020. If you see this, please don’t worry. Though we track your activity dynamically, we will only be looking at your performance from January 1, 2019 through January 1, 2020 for the assessment that’s happening now.

A huge thank you for all your hard work throughout the year, we wish you a great year of hosting and do let us know if you have any questions.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

92 Replies 92

@Christine1081 I got low rating from someone who said I was late for check in. I was not late. Even had all the correspondence to prove that the guest failed to even say despite being asked what time they wanted to check in. So I was left to tell them that I would be home at 'x' time but was not far off if they needed to check in earlier I could pop home. Not a peep.

They arrived after me. Then claimed I was late.

Obviously some idiot who thinks that hosts should just sit at home waiting for hours for them to show up whenever they wish! Air bnb said that they never remove star ratings only written reviews. Which is dumb and idiotic. I have probably lost Super host because of her lies. And my profile states now less than 100% positive check in. And air bnb wouldn't do a thing about it. 

So posed with them. Maybe I should reduce check in time to a 2hr window and see how guests like it then!

Gail84
Level 2
Maylands, Australia

I agree with many of the aforementioned things Airbnb need to address.  ie 5 star feedback with lower overall star rating - it should be an average of the feedback score.  Doesn't make sense that guests can rate lower on overall score when everything else is a 5 star plus a lovely review.  the algorithm should take care of the overall score!  Also location - seriously what a dumb idiotic question to rate on.  You describe your location, they have google maps or whatever other medium one uses to source the location of where they have booked.  Guests can see how far anything is to wherever it is they want to go to and hosts are then rated and penalised because guests get it wrong! Go figure.

Dear Lizzie 

I am Vaibhav And I am a host from Delhi, India Accommodations. I have fulfilled the super host criteria in 2019. It was showing that the assessment will take on 1st January 2020. Now, it is showing that the next assessment will take place on 1st April 2020. 
may I know what is the reason and criteria behind this, when I have already fulfilled the super host criteria and it is still pending? 

Regards 

Vaibhav 

Hello @Vaibhav20 , I am not Lizzie but I may be able to answer your question.

Airbnb does an assessment ever three months, or quarter of a year. They assess the previous 365 days. 

They are just finishing the last quarter of 2019. It takes 14 days so that any guest you had checkout on December 31 has time to complete their review. Remember, everyone gets a maximum of 14 days to complete the review after checkout. 

January 1, 2020 starts a new quarter. So on April 1, 2020, Airbnb will start the process of assessing hosts for the previous 365 days (April 1, 2019 - March 31 2020) to determine Superhost status. Reviews for guests checking out before April 1, 2019 will not be included in the next assessment. 

It continues that way every three months. 

Does that help?

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Dolores96
Level 7
Guanajuato, Mexico

@Lizzie Thank you very much for the information, I am very excited waiting for the results.

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

Well I've received an email saying I'm no longer a Super host  Which is what everyone on here said to expect though it's a direct contradicton of their help guides information and proves that is completely wrong.

Mariana321
Level 2
Mérida, Mexico

Hola@Lizzie , me llegó hoy la notificación que soy Superhost, lo cual me emociona mucho. Pero la insignia no aparece junto con mi foto, solo aparece si abres mi perfil. Debo esperar mas?

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

Congrats @Mariana321  but don't hold your breath for any response. I'm pretty sure this whole thread was opened as a place for people to vent into the abyss. 

In your case since my badge has not disappeared yet (and I have lost it), though I'm in no hurry at all of course, yes just wait. It will appear. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Wendy684 

How totally crazy is this superhost rating system. If anyone's a Superhost it's you Wendy, your guests just love you, but because you have fallen below that magical 4.8 you have lost your badge.

Unfortunately when you don't have a big bag of reviews careless guest interpretations of the review process can really hurt you.....'Oh the stay was great, everything was as described thank you so much for being such a good host'....and you get a 3 star because Airbnb says a 3 star overall means the stay was up to the guests expectations!

Wendy, I know you feel let down, and you have but try to stay positive, we are all fighting what is a dopey system! Here is my way of doing it and it seems to work..... Click photo to enlarge!

IMG20190315143441   aa.jpg

Maybe next assessment you will get it back again! All the best.

Cheers.......Rob

Thank you @Robin4 that's really helpful I might just try something like that! I'm pretty sure that the final 4 star rating which pulled it down was intended to be . GOOD!

@Robin4 I love that sheet! I have a 1/2 inch binder in the guest room (also in sheet protectors) with information on the house, local activities, places to eat, television listings, and more. I may incorporate your ratings information sheet in that binder as well. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robin129   @Wendy684 

That sheet has helped stop those maddening reviews we get like this

main-qimg-d8482729de244692072c824e2f459927.png

Nothing wrong, nothing I could learn from, nothing I could improve, but Airbnb gave my stats a kick. I was averaging 1 review like this in every 15, and each time I got one my overall rating would dip, I would go from a 4.94 to a 4.93, and yet it would take a dozen 5 star overalls to get me back to that 4.94 again. The system is weighted to penalise the host when they have done nothing wrong. After I received my 12th review just like the one above, I realised I needed to be a bit pro-active here and make sure guests understood that by thinking they are helping the host and being constructive, they are actually hurting the host.

It has worked! Since I have included that sheet my ratio of 4 star overall reviews has dropped to one in 50! I am still getting the odd category 4 star for maybe Cleanliness, Value or Location but 4 star overalls have just about stopped.

Guys, we shouldn't have to grovel for that top review......my place is not worth a top review, I wouldn't give it one if I was a traveler, but Airbnb have set up this ridiculous system and, we have to work with it as best we can.

Robin and Wendy I still have my Word doc of that page which means it's easy for me to alter. If you girls would like, I can alter individual wording to suit your listings and photos to make it specific for your house rules. I can then include it here as an image. You then just need to right click the image and click 'Save Picture as' from the option box and save it to a folder on your computer. You can then print it and it will come out as a full page image just as mine has, but with your details.

Cheers......Rob 

Hello teams groups customers prospects I am new on the black 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Wendy684 

It's really not worth getting stressed about. Superhost status is an illusion, a sham - nothing more than a behaviour modification tool, created by Airbnb to coerce hosts into toeing the line, and doing their bidding. 

See my post on the page below, about the origins and intent of the superhost scam.. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/is-being-a-Superhost-worth-it/td-p/1153128/page/4

Hi @Susan17 thanks for that that's a very interesting read. 

I'm really just not that stressed any more. Not worth it.  Bigger things going on.