Texts from Airbnb/Spam/wrong number

Miriam92
Level 1
Mannheim, Germany

Texts from Airbnb/Spam/wrong number

Hello,

I couldn't find a way to directly contact Airbnb so I'll try it this way.

I've been receiving text messages from "Airbnb" or so it says, first one in Spanish confirming a booking (located in the US), the other ones in English that seem to come from a host.

I've not booked anything nor does Airbnb have this number, so there has either been a mistake or it's spam. I live in Germany.

The number is +49 15735993885. Can anyone confirm if this is an official Airbnb number or how to let Airbnb know about this spam?

Thank you for your help.

41 Replies 41
Diana1123
Level 1
Des Plaines, IL

There has definitely been some sort of data breach because it’s no coincidence that all of us are getting this. 

Rachel1085
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I've also been getting these daily for a couple weeks from the number 223-95. I just logged into my account settings and went to "Login & Security." I noticed all this activity that clearly isn't me (see attached). I clicked on "log out device" for all of them and then updated my password. 

Luckily my credit card on file is outdated so there's not much anyone can do with my account. If the texts don't stop soon I will also delete my phone number from my account as someone else suggested. I'm surprised Airbnb hasn't replied or sent out an email when this is happening to so many people...Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 1.56.51 PM.png

Lauren715
Level 1
New Haven, CT

Exact same for me too over the past week or so, with daily random log ins from various countries...reported this as well but no reply from Airbnb.

Erin194
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Same is happening to me in MN. same message every couple days with a 4-digit code saying not to share with anyone and employees will never ask for it. Looks like I’m not the only one. 

I got one of these texts a couple of days ago, but what made it strange to me is that I got it right after I’d gotten a legitimate text from them that one of my properties was scheduled to be unsnoozed the following day. I went into my account online, and I also had to call AirBnB about this house. And within hours of doing this and finishing my business with them, I received the bogus text. I assumed at first it was a customer support survey, but it connected to a site address in Romania. I instantly deleted it. I’ve gotten these fraudulent texts before from them, but not lately, and every time I’ve reported them to AirBnB nobody seems to know anything about the problem.

Lucía83
Level 1
Pinto, Spain

Same thing happening here, in my Spanish phone nr. The UI sms intros are all in Spanish but the conversations between (fictional?) people take place in English.

Jaron2
Level 1
Singapore

i received an incomplete text from airbnb.

last sentence was:

Upon yo...

Sepideh10
Level 1
Madrid, Spain

Same here, since two days ago after Airbnb sent me a verification code I’ve been receiving SMSs nonstop. I reported the issue to Airbnb but no answer! I live in Spain and now I’m traveling right now. I hope I won’t be charged for receiving these nonsenses. 

I just got the same thing this time from someone called Fox Sports 6. It is actually a betting site! Man this kind of thing is very unsettling and now that I see this has been a problem for over a year it really makes me doubt Airbnb's commitment to security

N-and-L0
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

If this is a data breach it has potential to rob us all blind. 

if it is a glitch in the Airbnb system one would have expected it to be fixed quickly and a reassuring message sent out.

Too many comments above point to the first possibility.
Has anyone gotten an reply from Airbnb?
I will report to local TV Consumer Helpline.

Also Syracuse University IT professor.

FCC.  Any other Govt agency I think of. 

Elizabeth642
Level 2
Florida, United States

i get daily unsolicited text codes also....

Mark3582
Level 2
Holland, MI

I also have been receiving them from 22395 and 78156.   Is there any way to contact Airbnb helpdesk?   I have not found any phone number, email or chat!!!!!!