The Good in the Bad of it all!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

The Good in the Bad of it all!

Hello all, I hope you are hanging in there, your in my prayers!   I just needed to start a new thread in this gloomy "Covid 19 Discussions room" that will be called, "The Good in the Bad of it all".   Lots of things suck about the effects Covid 19 has wreaked on our community and every walk in life surrounding it.  This thread is not about that stuff, this is about the "Good stuff" that has happened to find its way to the top of the deck while the world is still fighting a viral wildfire. 

It could be something like I listed in other threads like "I don't have to pay my taxes until July 15 instead of April 15" or "I now have time to ______________", fill in the blank with that job you wanted to do but couldn't get the time because things were so busy.  Maybe something like "My ___________ has rallied and helping by_____________",  Someone and something that made life better for someone or many people in need of assistance. 

Its never good to dwell on just what ails us literally or figuratively so lets kick this up a notch, Thanks for what I'm sure will Be a interesting and uplifting thread, Stay well, JR 

35 Replies 35

@Sally221 

I don't think I've seen kimchi made with zucchini in Korea. We usually either add to soups, stir-fry or pan-fry. If you can't get yeolmu seeds, as a substitute you could try a small batch with radish tops that are still young and soft (think.... texture of typical salad greens).

Pickled radish tops are a personal favorite of mine - they go great with (korean style) grilled pork!!! 

Hope you will keep us posted on your garden and how the kimchi turns out :-))) 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

The San Francisco bay area is home to a big Korean/American community & lots & lots of adventurous eaters & fusion foods are popular, there's probably a kimchi burrito out there!

My darling daughter in law's rhubarb kimchi wasn't traditional but oh man, was it good. She also makes a sweet potato pie with mild miso that is epic. I am a sad & whiny mostly vegan these days (health reasons not spiritual) & snazzy stuff like kimchi & other pickles really brightens up the diet. My kids always give me a jar of kimchi as part of my mother's day or birthday swag, it's part of our family's tradition.

@Sally221  Are you also avoiding gluten? If not, I have a recipe for a delicious chocolate cake which is super easy to make and uses no dairy! I can PM it to you if interested.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I do not avoid gluten, I embrace it & consider chocolate an essential part of life. I gave up everything with cholesterol after  getting a shocker test result. My body just makes too much & I didn't want to take statins without trying diet first. So now I have high normal levels and my "Good" cholesterol is very acceptable. But saying goodby to cheese was the worst. Vegan cheese is nothing but a gross mockery. I'm very down for a chocolate cake that's easy if it doesn't involve egg yolk or butter.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh @Sally221  that's most unfortunate you have been hit with cholesterol issues, touch wood mine is well balanced.

Try include grapefruit in your diet, some types are bitter, others not so much as it's subject to soil acidity the tree is grown in.

They help keep mine in line.

I agree 100 % with you about cheese & unashamed to say I love it too.

I had to go diary free for a couple of years for an annoying health matter which was challenging in it self.

Cheese will come back on your menu one day trust me.

We have been blessed to have had some great speciality cheese deals available to us with restaurants closed..

All the best