The meaning of the Green Pass

Dino194
Level 1
Lombardy, Italy

The meaning of the Green Pass

Hi everyone, I'm Dino from Italy, host in Airbnb from 2016.

After the disaster of 2020 we actually start to see a reaction from the travel sector, especially from local tourists and neighbors such Germans guests or Dutch guests.. in short people can drive a car has chance to visit other country as our beautiful Italy.

We pay a lot of attention regarding cleaning, sanitize, and respect all rules about covid and thanks to all vaccinations you feel a little bit more secure when you meet a new guest..

especially if this guest show you his "green Pass"... or?

Yes but, what is this green pass? 

When a new guest show me that, what I can see it's a picture from his mobile phone with a QR code. Nothing else.

Most of the time when I take a picture of it or I try to scan the QR code, it doesn't  work as well.. especially for foreigners guests!

I have got a german family yesterday that show me 3 green pass on same mobile phone with 3 QR codes without a working link.. I presume it's real.. people was really friendly and kind but sometimes different countries have different way to make this green pass and not always is possible to control if this is real or fake.

In this situation I though was a good idea to let them fill the covid declaration too, but my question is.. how many people will take the right time to control every single  Green Pass and check what is show controlling that the name is the same, controlling both vaccination doses or the "negative " status???

I have been at the Hilton in Venice a week ago.. I was at the lobby and a foreign guy showed his green pass by phone to the concierge.. the lady back from the desk took the phone, look at that and say "oh ok thank you Sir.. it's  fine".. 

Unless the receptionist had a QR code integrated in her mind.. I can be difficult that she could understand what it means..

My personal opinion is that the Green Pass could be a good  idea but nobody knows for sure if it's a fake or not. And when you are doing a check.in is difficult to say "oh no.. you QR code doesn't work now, I can not give you the key.." 

You just have to believe and hope that is a real one..

I think that European institutions should work much better, and make a unique green pass with a unique qr code that link on a single very clear portal for those who receive a guest, knowing that the QR code must have the photo of the person concerned on its side and must work by linking to a single portal, unique where the page contains the same photo of the person present in the qr code ..

in short, something to avoid receiving guests with false green passes .. that at the moment even my 8-year-old daughter would be able to replicate.

Waht you think about it? Has someone got my same feeling?

Dino Boselli
1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dino194if that's true then I agree with you. I've never seen a green pass or ask my guests to show it to me. I don't know how would it benefit me to know my guest is vaccinated? Being vaccinated doesn't mean he isn't infected and he can't infect me. If he was negative yesterday when he did the test doesn't mean he will not become positive and sick during his stay.

I just do a check-in as fast as possible (usually a few minutes) while we are all wearing masks. I think the risk is lower than going to the grocery store.

At check-out, I quickly open all the windows, turn on the ventilator and go to the nearby cafe for half an hour. And I hope for the best. I am lucky to be an off-site host, I wouldn't host at home now.