The request system works against hosts

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

The request system works against hosts

I am writing this in hopes that Airbnb higher-ups get this feedback. THE REQUEST SYSTEM PRESENTS MULTIPLE PROBLEMS FOR POPULAR PROPERTIES AND NEEDS TO BE AN OPT-OUT, AS IS INSTABOOK.

WHY does it present problems?

1) Guests do not read house rules before submitting requests and therefore hosts must decline requests.

2) Guests do not understand the difference between inquiries and requests. They send requests with questions instead of inquiries.

3) Hosts are put in unenviable position of having to tell the guest to withdraw their request.

4) Hosts' calendars are held hostage for 24 hours while waiting for guests who may or may not withdraw requests.

5) Hosts are sent threatening removal-from-platform messages by Airbnb if they deny three requests.

CLEARLY THE ABOVE IS A PROBLEM FOR HOSTS WHO RECEIVE MULTIPLE REQUESTS/DAY.

And now, technical gliches:

1) The system has auto-accepted requests twice within the last 24 hours which I neither accepted nor denied, but rather responded to by message. Airbnb will say they cannot accept guest requests, that only the host can. (I am a 6-year veteran of super hosting. I know how the system works.)

2) Withdrawal notifications of guest requests are no longer being sent to phone app. The only way to know whether a guest has withdrawn a request is to check calendar. 

For hosts with popular properties, that the request system causes problems is an understatement. Time spent sorting through such a morass of problems with customer support is frustrating beyond belief.

A SIMPLE SOLUTION: allow hosts to opt out of guest requests the same as instabook. "This host accepts inquiries only."

Due to this rigid, buggy request system, I am considering leaving Airbnb for VRBO and/or any other number of competitors who have solicited my business. My property receives media publicity on the regular with pings back to Airbnb. When the onset of requests creates so many problems, it is time to re-examine hosting platforms.

PS: Customer support agents tell me hosts regularly complain to them about the request system. Airbnb, do something about it.

17 Replies 17

@Debra48  An experienced host who is one of the regulars here has an interesting strategy she has posted about that she uses for inappropriate requests. If they say they are bringing a pet to a no pets listing, for instance, she  messages back saying she doesn't make exceptions to the no pets rule, but she'll go ahead and accept the booking at such and such a time, on the assumption that they won't be bringing Rover along, but if they aren't prepared to leave the dog elsewhere, they should withdraw the request asap before they get charged for it. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Debra48 

"A SIMPLE SOLUTION: allow hosts to opt out of guest requests the same as instabook. "This host accepts inquiries only."

Exactly my wish !

@Emiel1 @Debra48 

Mine wish too

I am constantly getting requests from people who didn't read house rules and expect something we don't offer. Hosts shouldn't be penalized for guests' mistakes.