Two Star Review - have you written one?

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Two Star Review - have you written one?

Hi. I've had a guest instant book and can now see they have only 1 review and got 2 stars for cleanliness. 

So I'm wondering two things -

1. Have you ever given 2 stars for cleanliness and how bad was it?

2. I was thinking of asking the guest directly what happened to hear their side of it - good idea or bad?

Thanks!

Ben

10 Replies 10
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ben205

1)  I once gave 1* for cleanliness - Dachshund diarrhea 🤢 - Everything else was clean, so SOME might have given a little credit for that = 2*? - For me, the DD trumped everything else = 1*!

2) Agree with asking what happened.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

A guest with a two star review shouldn’t be able to IB. In your situation I would call Airbnb and ask them to cancel @Ben205 

If the guest had 4/5 reviews all good and one negative I would ask them not if they just had one negative.

what was there communication like? Did they introduce themselves and explain the purpose of their stay?

i’ve never given a 2 star rating for anything in five years of hosting and hundreds of guests - the lowest I’ve given for cleaning is 4 stars

@Helen3 Rumor has it that only a 1 star review will prevent a guest from instant booking 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah it used to be three star. 😊

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I read the post as 1 past review only, with 2* for cleanliness, but for all I know better marks in the other two categories.... Which would explain why IB-ing was possible.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ben205 

My expectations for cleanliness are low compared to some so I really don't think I have ever given a 1 or 2 star in that category. I expect the place to be lived in. I would follow up a low cleanliness rating with something in the written review: sink overflowing with dishes, trash everywhere, etc. What does the written review say? If there is nothing in the written review, I doubt this guest knows they were even in the wrong.

I wouldn't address it with them specifically, i.e. what did you do?!!  but I would emphasize any checkout instructions and clearly state your expectations. If they fail to follow your directions, I would give them a horrible review; this time accurately warning other hosts. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Ben205 What does the written portion of the review say? A guest doesn't get to see their stars btw. You might message the host who left the review and ask them what happened. Two stars is pretty low so I'm guessing it must have been bad, whatever it was. I wouldn't take the chance. But it doesn't take much to horrify me, as a host, in the cleanliness department.

I should add, I have given a two star, for a guest who left a rather horrific mess in the bathroom and kitchen which required a lot of extra deep cleaning, and a general mess of personal stuff left behind, wet towels draped on furniture etc. I might have given a 1 star, but would reserve that for malicious damage. This guest was just horribly messy and thoughtless. He had promised me before arriving that he would look after the place as if it were his own! Now I know to ASK what that might look like 😨

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ben205 Yes, I’ve given bad stars. Usually for intentional lack of care. 
can’t hurt to ask & when I’ve done that HOW the guest responds tell me more than the review itself. 
a 2* doesn’t prevent IB but CS can choose to agree with you that perhaps it should. A difficult message thread would help on that front. 

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 @Helen350 @Colleen253 @Emilia42 @Helen3 

Thanks for your helpful replies. The guest got 5*s for communication and house rules and the written review was okay. It's possible the feedback gave some advice.

Their message to me was really friendly, they talked about the town so have either done their homework or know the area.

I think I'll ask the previous host first. Then maybe the guest.

This has made me think it would be useful to know more about a guest's booking history. Have they been declined? How many places have they stayed and not been reviewed? Have hosts said they wouldn't host them again?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don’t think it would be helpful to know about declines (i decline those who don’t fit my criteria) not because anything is wrong with the guest. And it is not a guest’s fault if a host fails to review them @Ben205