Why is Airbnb now ONLY offering guests a credit option, when their COVID policy states they offer a cash refund?? Limiting exposure to loss?

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

Why is Airbnb now ONLY offering guests a credit option, when their COVID policy states they offer a cash refund?? Limiting exposure to loss?

Airbnb is getting shiftier and shiftier by the minute. 

As a host, they have made decisions on our behalf that have decimated our income. We have accepted that guests are cancelling, but now Airbnb are going against their published COVID Extenuating Circumstances policy, and blaming Hosts for not being able to give guests a cash refund. 

The new (updated as of 14th March)  policy states that cancelling guests will get the option for a  full cash refund, however one of our guests, on cancelling their trip which is within the new (updated as of 14th March) COVID Extenuating Cirumstances policy, was only offered credit for future travel. The automated cancellation system also noted that this was due to "the Host's cancellation policy", shifting blame from Airbnb to the Hosts. 

Very clever, yet again, Airbnb. Did you think hosts would not find out about this? That guests would not actually read the published policy details which state that they would be offered a full refund? 

The simple fact is that we have a "Strict" cancellation policy. Since Airbnb released their smoke and mirrors, "we are saviours to hosts" package, which gives most hosts nothing, but those with a "Strict" policy a token refund, Airbnb is now trying everything to limit any refunds, to both hosts and guests. I'm not shocked any more, but I am continually disappointed and disgusted with the polar opposite of Airbnb's Public Face and their actions behind the scenes.

I am currently on hold after managing to reach a 'CS' rep.

First, I was told "the new policy is to only give guests a travel credit". 

Then, I was asked to send a screenshot to prove otherwise (!!)

So I read the policy out from the website;

Reservations made on or before 14 March 2020

Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before 14 March 2020, with a check-in date between 14 March 2020 and 31 May 2020, may be cancelled before check-in. This means that guests who cancel will receive, at their option, travel credit or a full cash refund, "

I have taken a screenshot of the website because I expect that this will be quickly "updated" soon. I suggest everyone do the same. I have so little trust left in Airbnb. It is now all marketing and spin. I will wait and see how the CS rep responds to this....

20 Replies 20
Linda324
Level 3
Altadena, CA

I was asking if hosts can up cleanup fees during this pandemic. I have shut down the one non occupied space I have. It’s just not worth the risk , time and effort for clean up post guest. 

The other unit has a short- now long term guest which is now there 24/7 burning the heater and internet. 

@Linda324  Of course you have the option to raise or lower your cleaning fees or nightly rate whenever you choose. But when you change anything, it will only apply to bookings made after the change was made, it can't be applied retroactively.

Deirdre12
Level 8
Santa Monica, CA

Same thing happened to one of my guests.  They told her that she could have a full refund of my fees, but the service fee would be a credit only.

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

just like stores give store credit, there will always be portions not used no matter what. That’s blood-sucking money Airbnb is making on the hosts!

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

Wow. Like most hosts, I have had 3 major cancellations that fall within the extenuating circumstances.  The last was cancelled on 4th April by Airbnb and was for a 72 day booking.  I understand completely as the guests live in France which is having a horror time at the moment. We are luckier in Australia.  But now I do wonder whether she got a refund or just a credit.  This is BIG money!

Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

Has anybody received an invitation from Airbnb to apply to the SuperHost Relief Fund? I spoke to a customer service rep who said invites would be sent out by email to hosts who meet the criteria. I do and am hopeful this might help ease the pain we are all feeling. Really hoping this does not go on much longer! For everyone's health, sanity and prosperity!

If there is another thread about this would someone please reply with a link? Thx