how to rate this guest

Claudia2423
Level 2
Seattle, WA

how to rate this guest

Hello everyone.

My last guest (who sent me a bribing text) stating that he was giving me 5 stars,  left without tipping or paying the housekeepers for the veggies she bought for him. She also went an extra mile to fulfilled his requests which was finding fisherman in the region on the first of the year and sleeping on the premises which she doesn't do regularly plus. he left a discussing dirty towels.

he has 21 five stars

I am afraid to give him the three stars he deserves because of his revenge comments post publish.

Thanks a lot

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Claudia2423 Hosts and guests can't read each others reviews before hand. Just go ahead and leave an honest review.  But be specific in the written portion, not just leaving low stars. Only hosts who use Instant Book can see a guest's stars. And really, what do those stars tell any of us anyway? Nothing much. 

Thank you Colleen for your response right on point We will do

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Claudia2423,

Please right an hones, accurate non-emotional review of the guest.  This will not only stop the guest from trying to intimidate hosts into giving him undeserved good reviews, but is a benefit to other hosts whom he may book with.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Claudia2423
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I do appreciate your suggestion and I agree he will probably have bribe a lot of hosts already

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I don't understand what you mean he left without tipping. There is no requirement for a guest to leave a tip. 

It does sound like he took advantage of your housekeeper's extra work on his behalf, but was there nothing arranged as far as payment for her extra services beforehand? You have to make things clear to guests, not just assume that they will do what you consider to be the right thing.

@Claudia2423

@Claudia2423 I'm not really seeing how the guest's message constitutes bribery - was there a threat or demand involved that you didn't mention?

I enjoyed looking at your listing; what a beautiful place! But nowhere in it do I see any mention of tipping, or any requirement that guests launder their dirty towels before departure. Neither is a standard thing that an Airbnb guest would have any reason to think was expected of them by default.

Your listing does disclose one extra optional fee, for the housekeeper preparing a meal. Of course, it would be your responsibility as the host to collect that payment through Airbnb. Aside from that, it only says "housekeeping is provided." This means that all housekeeping services on offer are delegated by the host and included in the listing price. If the guest requests "unusual" services beyond what you've included there, you can either set a firm boundary or collect an additional fee upfront.

Either way you go about it, though, it's your fundamental responsibility as the employer to make sure that the housekeeper is fairly compensated - she is working for you, not for the guest.  I hope you paid her appropriately for all her efforts here, as it's no comfort to her that the guest just gets a mixed review. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Claudia2423 

It is very unlikely that future potential guests will see his "revenge comments post publish." Unless you are checking his profile every day for the next 3 weeks you might never see it. Don't worry about a guest's response to your review. It only appears on their profile. Not yours. And is a direct reflection of them. Not you.