Android app hasn't worked for months

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Android app hasn't worked for months

I have tried all resources.....including Airbnb help, who could find no solution but granted me a $25 gift voucher instead. But, I'm not happy and would like the problem solved, so I am hoping that there are some technically savy people here in the community.

I have the proper android version. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times. The problem is always the same. It asks me to sign in. I sign in. Then it tells me I am already signed in. So, I go ahead and click on the tab for the menu options. It doesn't work. I then get the message "oops something went wrong with your request". 

It has been like this for months.

26 Replies 26
Kevin164
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

I've found that the AirBNB app crashes on both Samsung S7 phone and Galaxy Tab2. I wonder if it has something do to with the Google smart lock.

Rachel321
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Had the same problem... finally got it to work! The key was to "clear all open pages" or close them as another person mentioned above. I removed the app. Then, cleared all pages. Then, reinstalled the app. Works fine now

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Fantastic to hear how you solved this @Rachel321. Thanks for sharing, I am sure this will help many other people. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Randy70
Level 1
Stoughton, WI

I have a similar problem on an Android tablet.  It won't take my password and continuously tells me to update my app.  However, the app works fine on my Android phone.  Both phone and tablet are brand new - Galaxy S7 phone and G-Pad F2 8.0.  Clearly the app is not quite ready for prime time.

Gwendolyn7
Level 2
United States

Same thing here. Unable to log onto it via the app on my Android phone. I have already emailed customer service. I have a reservation coming up and the Host requires you to use the app to enter the property. 

Angela623
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Hi. Just got a new Android Tablet and every time I try to open my airbnb app it keeps telling me it needs to be updated. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app a few times with no luck. Can anybody help. Thanks. Angela 

Same issue for me. 

David1836
Level 1
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

Same issue for me. Used to work ok on my tablet (hudl2), now it keeps telling me the app might need to be updated but I've checked and I'm running the latest version. They must have introduced a bug on an update.

Theresa71
Level 2
Holland, MI

Here's how I finally got the app to work on my Android phone. 

* went to settings

* went to security

* turned on Unknown Sources (allows apps from unknown sources)

* Again logged into Airbnb App (It worked!)

*went back to settings to turn off Unkown Sources

Finally, none of the above worked for me! 

PROBLEM: 
Apparently, the Smart Lock which I think it built for Web Pages seems to cross over to the APP and it thinks it can apply a saved password that is probably no longer valid that you migh have accidently accepted or use with Google Chrome access to airbnb.  So, it just needs to be removed and then I got prompted properly for the password email and password, instead of the problematic screen that said "Enter valid Email"  - with my full name and no way to change it to the gmail account or correct email.

SOLUTION: 

This worked and had to do with:

Turn off Smart Lock for Passwords for specific sites or apps

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6197437

You can view or manage the websites that will never offer to save passwords:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More  
     Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Passwords and forms," click Manage passwords.
  5. Under "Never saved," see the websites that will never offer to save passwords. To remove a site, click More
     Remove 

I could not find Unknown Sources in my settings.

Does it go by another name?

Chris1951
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi folks, not sure if this has been resolved but I wanted to help.  I have been an iphone user for 10 years and yesterday got an android phone for the first time.  I installed the airbnb app and it would simply not allow me to go beyond the password screen.  I uninstalled several times etc to no avail, tried using my facebook login and again it would not take me beyond the password screen so I used my google login.  I first changed my google login email to match that of my airbnb login email as they were different.  I then what back into app, selected login with google and it sent me a pin code and hey presto it worked.

I hope this helps.