How to improve your photography?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to improve your photography?

Photography

Hello everyone,

With modern technology and snazzy all-singing, all-dancing phones these days, it should make it easier than ever to take photos you can be proud of. However, I personally think it is not always as straightforward as you think and taking photos of your property can be tricky.

There can be lots of things to consider, the lighting, size of room and not forgetting what photos are key to show your house in the best and accurate light. There may also be a few things to avoid as well, for example do you really need five photos of the downstairs cupboard, however proud you are of the paint work? 🙂

Already here in the Community Center, I have spotted some fantastic tips on photography to mention just a couple, by @Julia66 in 'What tips would you give a new host?' and @Harry22 in his amazing thread 'Host Guide: 60 tips'. 

This is why I thought it would be great to create a dedicated discussion to share tips here. 

To kick-off, my tip would be to consider when in the day you take the photo. I personally think a room can often look more inviting during the day when the sun is shining, so I might avoid taking photos at night and prevent unnecessary shadows. 

I look forward to hearing your tips. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

15 Replies 15
Lynda68
Level 2
Sandpoint, ID

Hi@willow. I am definitely drawn to the bottom left pic of the blue and white bedroom. It looks homey yet elegant. In my listing I have an outside view for my cover photo but that was for summer. I want inside for fall/winter but can't decide between the bedroom or living room area of my upstairs apartment. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks so much. I am very new to hosting. Lynda Kay Jarrold