Join me in class action against AirBnb for fraudulent promotion of host guarantee

Jeffrey119
Level 3
Trumbull, CT

Join me in class action against AirBnb for fraudulent promotion of host guarantee

We recently had a guest trash our house. We sucked up the extra cleaning etc but they broke a piece of furniture. We made a modest claim, we provided AirBnb with all of the documentation but they continually stonewalled usand finally said they were stopping communications. I turned this over to legal. They have reviewd everything and feel AirBnb misreprents to potential hosts their guarantee. We are looking for others with similar experiences. We are willing to pursue this alone but if we show this is a pattern we can not only get damages but prevent AirBnb from making claims to potential users that they have no intention of honoring.

60 Replies 60
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Have you spoke with an Attorney? Do you have one interested in taking the case?

David
Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

Many hosts will tell you the host guarantee is worthless....you should find plenty of people either in this forum or one of the other forums.  Based on their feedback, I don't expect air to be any help....I've gotten good support on issues where they don't have to pay money but I've not filed a claim.  

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeffrey119  http://www.thisisinsider.com/airbnb-host-allegedly-claims-guest-trashed-texas-home-2018-3

Rip back the curtain an expose Oz for what it is.

Good Luck! 

I asked myself as I saw this video - WHO would rent to a college 'kid' and then not be aware that 300 people showed up at her home, without immediately calling the police? Kudos to the lady -  for taking 'some' personal responsibility.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The Host Guarantee, covered here in so many threads over the last few years, is this:

1. A promise of a 'guarantee' that in its face suggest it is a 'free insurance', in case a guest causes damage.

2. It is a 'promotional' tool to get hosts to come to Airbnb versus the competition.

3. It by passes having a true 'Deposit' system that collects from the guest up front, something Airbnb doesn't want to get into, like other booking agencies have/do. It must be an economic 'advantage' in the market place NOT to have one, otherwise why not have one.

4. By having the 'guarantee', Airbnb is suggesting the host is 'covered' for damages, but then it fights every claim like a lion, and in this way they get the benefit of great advertising, yet not incur the cost of actually paying most claims.

5. Legally Airbnb can defend it because of the 2nd part of this 'guarantee' (see its 'Terms'). Within reason, its the U.S., where anything judicially is possible, it has thousands of judges, and it will only take one to upset the apple cart.

6. Hosts, on the other hand, understandably 'rely' on it, but can also easily 'abuse' it, by  not doing their part of protecting their own property and just simply rely on Airbnb to solve any problems that arise, (aka the shirking of personal responsibility and not making smarter decisions).

7. IF more claims are indeed paid, there is one place where the 'cost' will be passed on to first - higher host fees. It wouldn't be from guest fees (12%-15%) because those are in line or just below that of other agencies, an economic advantage Airbnb probably doesn't want to relinguish.

8. SO, the day this policy is succesfully challenged in court (aka Airbnb looses), either of a few things will immediately happen: A-host fees will dramatically rise, B- Airbnb will dropped the 'Host Guarantee' and every host will have to have their own insurance or risk going without it, or C- get out of the hosting program altogether because the risk is now really not 'worth' it.  

Personally, I wish Airbnb would drop it, keep hosting fees low and be no more than a referral booking agency, leave the rest up to the guests and host. And definitely allow a true deposit system. While at the podium, continue its review system, but get rid of labels, badges and trophies. Those two steps along will eliminate 90% of its 'conflicts'.

Coldo0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/No-payment-no-answer-HMQNF2SJRY/m-p/650813#M150882

I have all the pictures and my communication with Airbnb.

@Coldo0Airbnb doesn't ~charge~ the guest for a security deposit up front, unfortunate reality. Are there 3 parts to this: guest not already charged for their stay (unusual), what they stole (Airbnb willing to pay that) and the damage they caused?

Thank you Fred,

I hope Airbnb will do right by their host garantee .

Airbnb keep telling me that "airbnb collection team" is working on ,beleive or not for the past 45 days.  

I never heard from anyone ,its just me calling and getting this same answer over and over again. 

Juliana

I got my own story, will share when they finally resolve it. Frustrating world out there.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

All I know as an observer of hosts posting and commenting on these forums is there doesn't seem to be a lot of 'Peace of Mind' going on for hosts making claims. And, I have yet to read of a resolution being arrived at within a week; rather, I repeatedly read reports of damages being properly documented, estimates / receipts submitted, and then either silence ensues, or bizarre requests are made by Airbnb like, "You must have a licensed Chair repair-person give an estimate for fixing the chair." Licensed chair-repair person? And we are supposed to take this seriously?

Or, a host's home sustains significant damage (in the thousands), and it is all propertly documented and submitted, and Airbnb will only pay for the replacement of a $13.00 cutting board. I don't even know what to think anymore when I read these reports from reputable hosts and super hosts. This is why I coughed up the extra money for combined commerical / residential insurance. At least I can now sleep a bit better at night. 

How long will it take for my payment request to be processed?

The length of the process will vary depending on the severity of the case, the quality of documentation, and the cooperation of the host and guest. We strive to resolve most cases within a week of submission.

Like any tenancy, it pays to have landlord Insurance to cover you against any damage or loss associated with your " Tenanacy" You already have insurance, its only a small upgrade on your current insurance. To rely on an "online, offshore,imaginary cover" by somebody who will not appear in a court in your country for your very valuable asset is simply ludicrous! Try to enforce their "so called" cover?

@Rebecca0-  I'm pretty new to AirBnB but my very first renter Caused substantial damage which I've been going round and round Airbnb for.  Any yes, same play book as everything I've ready here and other places. 

My houses are Weekly Vacation Rentals on the Beach so for me Homeaway actually gets me more booking, but with Homeaway I can make the Guest purchase a weekly damage insurance policy for $79 to cover $3k..  I've never had anyone complain.  Do you know anyway to automatically have this same kind of insurance added to the Airbnb booking process.  Obviously you can put any number you want in the Security Deposit part of the GUI but that means nothing apparently.

Thanks for any ideas..

Mike & Fara

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

To be fair I had a problem all resolved within a week.

It wasn't a structural damage or home repair but it stopped me hosting until fixed.

I had a guest wet the bed. New bed/mattress delivered next day, old stuff taken away. Booking due to arrive on the same day guest was checking out was moved elsewhere (and i stil got paid) plus extra ££ for me to go buy new bedding and a credit voucher on airbnb as a sorry. 

All money was in my account by the end of the week.

It's nowhere near as bad as some of the horroe stories i've read. I don't charge a deposit so was a bit worried but i have to say airbnb were super easy with it.

I'm more concered with how inconsistant it seams to be, how was it so easy for me, yet i hear complete nightmare stories from others?

@Rebecca181I saw the same sad stories you did. But recently had my own experiece with the Host Guarantee and it turned out very well for me. Hope this gives you some reassurance that it does work on occassion: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Wonderful-Experience-with-Host-Guarantee/m-p/683925