2021 1099K

Answered!

2021 1099K

Hello, I received a 1099K this week regardless that I did not meet the threshold for 2021. I have called for over 3 days and being passed around. I was told a Case Manager will call me and still no calls to date.  Just wondering if other hosts had same experienced? I don’t know what to do to rectify the oversight they made. Thank you 

Top Answer

Please stop pretending you don't know what we are talking about. A middle schooler could read this thread and infer the question being asked, plus I clarified it for you on the last thread. You are just popping in here to make it look like someone official is responding, but a non response is not a response; your response it is patronizing and the antithesis of customer care. It would be nice to receive the same level of care we give to our guests which makes your entire product marketable. 

To c-l-a-r-i-f-y:

Can Airbnb please correct the incorrectly issued 1099 forms? The forms in question were sent to the IRS but did not meet reporting thresholds for the 2021 year (200 transactions and $20,000).

My friend did not meet either threshold and still received a 1099. We are not isolated cases. 

View Top Answer in original post

64 Replies 64
Allen136
Level 2
Diamond Bar, CA

At this point, it appears Airbnb is willfully neglecting to address the issues we have brought up.

I’d hate to explore taking legal action but I can’t help but be consumed by this matter. Our issue is that Airbnb either issued our 1099k forms in error or their help topics, resource center and other published content regarding taxes was incorrect.

Now my question is, was it deceptive in nature? Was it willful misrepresentation? Perhaps you guys can chime in with your thoughts on what sections of the law may apply here? This does appear to align with unfair trade practice. Check out the link below.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unfair-trade-practice.asp

“Unfair trade practices refer to the use of various deceptive, fraudulent, or unethical methods to obtain business. Unfair business practices include misrepresentation, false advertising or representation of a good or service, tied selling, false free prize or gift offers, deceptive pricing, and noncompliance with manufacturing standards. Such acts are considered unlawful by statute through the Consumer Protection Law, which opens up recourse for consumers by way of compensatory or punitive damages.”

It’s my understanding that by providing inaccurate or conflicting information on Airbnbs published content is not necessarily illegal if it was a simple mistake. However it is the case if it’s deceptive or misleading in nature and I believe I can prove that it was.

When I first brought this issue up, I sent a screenshot of an article from the Airbnb help center. I mentioned that I received a 1099k in error because I did not meet their stated thresholds and I’m also in California which wasn’t on the list of states with lower reporting thresholds.

Interestingly enough, I noticed they changed it after the fact to add California on the list. It was actually discovered when I posted that link on the community center here and Victoria replied and said California is on the list.

Here’s where it gets even more interesting. I then mentioned it didn’t matter they added it to the list because it still was under a heading that says “As of January 1, 2022, these are the states with lower reporting thresholds”. That means it still means it doesn’t apply to the 2021 tax season. Then they changed it again, which I highly suspect it’s because I mentioned it on here.

Check out the current link below. You can see they removed the “January 1, 2022” from the states with lower reporting thresholds section. It’s a bit odd for that specific help article to remain the same from last year to suddenly changing twice in February after I brought up both discrepancies. I actually posted screenshots and mentioned that fact on this very thread if you go back.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/414/when-you-might-receive-a-tax-form-from-airbnb

By Airbnb editing the information after the fact, and only after I pointed out the discrepancies, I believe that does make this situation willful misrepresentation and is deceptive in nature which is why I feel legal action might be appropriate here. Please chime in with your thoughts?

Also Airbnb did not have my taxpayer information prior to the end of the year. I was under the impression based on the email Airbnb sent out that they needed it for the 2022 tax year. Did they also use that email to willfully deceive hosts to provide their taxpayer information for another use than specified?

@Scott, you appear to be the person who was discussing this matter on this very forum as evident from your request for feedback on such matters. Perhaps you can clarify why my taxpayer information was obtained and used improperly and without consent?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/tax/td-p/1520169

Marcia565
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I have been trying to get my 1099 form for over a month.  I have contacted airbnb but no one calls me back and then I get a note that my case is closed.  I have had to delay my appointment with my accountant because I cannot get the form or information.  Airbnb just seems to ignore any message I send them.  Any suggestions.  This is my fourth year being a superhost and I never had this problem in the past.  

Jessy89
Level 1
Capital District, Venezuela

Good Evening,

I am representing the owners of the subject property. They are worried because they do not know how to pay for their Taxes or how they can obtain the 1099 from 2021. The property was managed for  "111 NOTTINGHAM LLC" 

Please let me know how the owner can proceed?

Thank you 
Jessy Pino
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I have come across this thread because of discrepancies as well.

I am a low volume AirBNB. My earnings are in the upper 4-figures. 
I had a total of 36 guests in 2021.
I received a 1099K.

I have downloaded my 1099K. 
I have downloaded the CSV file for Gross Earnings. 
There is a discrepancy between the 1099K and the Gross earnings (Payout + Host Fee) Even when I include Occupancy Taxes, the numbers still don't match.  It's like AirBNB is making up dollar figures. Or are they hiding money and reducing their tax debt by deferring it onto hosts??