A guest bringing their service dog

A guest bringing their service dog

I am new to hosting an have a question.  A guest reserved and then let me know she would be bringing a service dog.  My listing includes that I have a dog and a flock of chickens nearby the rental and have a no pet policy.  I understand I am not allowed to refuse to rent to her but my young dog will not do well with another being on her property.  What do you suggest?  

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kay1406  This is a really tough one because many guests sadly do claim their pet is a service animal in order to take them with them.  Personally I find it a very selfish of them as it does cause an element of doubt in those genuine cases.   I am sure you have seen the service animal rules but include a link just in case you have not.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1869/accessibility-policy

I fully understand your discomfort as I have working spaniels who although well trained absolutely will try to nab a chicken and retrieve it to me on odd occasions.  In the first instance and in your position I would probably contact the guest and ask the two questions you are allowed to ask.  If it is evident that the dog is either not a service animal or it is an emotional support animal then I would ask the guest to cancel.  If it is a genuine service animal, then I would highlight your concerns with regards to your chickens, explain that your dog is quite territorial and ask that her dog is harnessed and restrained at all times when on your property.

Thank you.  I did ask those two questions allowed by air bnb and she said she has anxiety disorder and PTSD and the dog was trained to jump on her lap when she gets anxious. My thought is that if she has anxiety issues bringing her dog on to my property with another dog, and the chickens would seem to bring on more anxiety and would not make any sense.  

Also, are you saying that I can her require her to have her dog leashed when outside either in the parking lot or in the yard outside her apt?  

I am just extremely anxious about AD laws and having someone accuse me of violating their rights. 

@Kay1406  that sounds like an ESA-an emotional support animal, not a service animal. There is a distinction. I'm not up on the latest rules with AirBnB, but I believe they are treated differently. There was an update several months ago. Search the forum. 

I'm a dog lover, and a (sometimes) people lover, lol. There is so much abuse of this issue that it pisses me off. Bottom line is that a considerate person will ask a host. It's as simple as that. Why bring a dog where it's not welcome, whatever the reason. There are plenty of pet-friendly AirBnBs out there. 

Every time I read about this happening, it screams selfish, entitled, and trouble ahead. 

I had an inquiry two summers ago from a really lovely guest. She was legally blind and had a service animal. She acknowledge that my listing was not pet friendly, told me her situation, and politely asked if she and her family could stay. She said if I was not okay with it, they would book elsewhere, no problem at all. 

I welcomed them with open arms, and they were the loveliest people (and dog) ever. That's how these things should happen. Common decency and consideration, regardless of a dog's designation. 

Good luck. 

TOPless Contributor
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kay1406   These are the things you can ask your guest to agree to

• A guest’s service animal must not be:
    • Out of control
    • Not house-trained
    • Left alone at the listing without prior approval
    • Allowed into areas that are considered unauthorised to the guest
    • Allowed in a public space without being harnessed, on a lead, or tethered and not under the guest’s control

@Kay1406  Above, @Kate867  linked the official policy on service animals. What the guest described might be be considered a Psychiatric Support Animal, which is distinct from an Emotional Support Animal, under Pennsylvania law: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/pennsylvania-laws-on-service-dogs-and-emotional-support-anim...

If the booking is not yet confirmed, it's possible to discuss your apprehensions without coming across as discriminatory. Your listing discloses that there is a dog on the property, so if you say that the presence of another dog causes yours to become aggressive, the guest might consider withdrawing the request, but it's a bit tricky because your listing implies that the dog's "private fenced yard" is not connected to the guest-accessible areas. You can also require that the dog remain leashed at all times when outdoors.  I'm not sure how the chickens fit into this, but there's no reason you'd have to permit a service dog around their enclosure.

What you can't do is bring up the guest's anxiety disorder as a potential issue, even though it obviously is one.