Adapting to the new normal

Kim672
Level 2
Industry Hall, Barbados

Adapting to the new normal

Hi everyone 

I know we have all been impacted severely by Covid19 and its accompanying restrictions and Lockdowns etc. Some of you may still have upcoming reservations but for me here in Barbados  everything has been cancelled. Tourism is our main industry and no  one knowsv when airlift will resume to our region .

So i am thinking of how i can keep my property viable so i can at least cover my expenses until we can see light at the end of the tunnel

I thought of our local market and our"essential workers' .I am not sure what term is used in your country but we use it to refer to the those employed in businesses that still remain open under lockdown .Locally its pharmacies ,gas stations, supermarkets, sanitation workers postmen etc.

These essential workers are hard pressed to perform under very difficult and stressful circumstances and it will take its toll.

My plan is to offer special Staycation rates specifically to this niche market , a minimum 3 night getaway designed to allow them to rest and rejuvenate either during or up to 3 months after we come out of Lockdown.  Since they are the only ones employed right now they are still getting paid so I make it very affordable for them to treat themselves  or to take a break from the situation as it is. 

I know that it may be awhile before the rest of the world can come visit but we can and must make the most of our local and regional market.

1 Reply 1
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Nothing to loose by trying something new.

I am not well-versed in the economic & political makeup of Barbados, but being from Belize, they do have one similarity- a high dependency on foreign tourism. Belize has had 18 cases (2 deaths); Barbados 52 cases and 7 deaths? Both have decided to not allow international flights until July 1st. 

Happy to report, of late I have gotten many inquiries and even bookings for later this year and next, it appears many already have a bad case of cabin fever.

Good luck.