Advice on poor guest

Advice on poor guest

I have a guest who almost from the beginning of her stay was complaining about the heat in our condo.  I can see she is from out of state and from somewhere where the temps are more mild than here in Northern CA.  However where our condo is located is cooler than most places in CA and AC is not standard or normal in the area.  I am running up to the condo tomorrow after she leaves and installing 2 of those window fans that mount in the window and suck in the cooler outside air; and downstairs I am installing a portable AC unit that vents out through the window.  Downstairs is where the beds are.   I looked into a mini split system and they are not allowed by the HOA.

Call it intuition but I had a feeling about where these complaints were going and frankly the guest looks mentally ill on her profile pic.  But I try really hard to please all guests and so far have 23, 5 star ratings out of 24; with the 1 guest giving us 4 stars.  We bend over backwards and even leave gift baskets for all guests that value about $25.  We truly want people to have a good time and a memorable experience.  I've been extremely apologetic to this guest about the heat and asked her if she wants me to do anything.  I also told her if she wants to buy a fan to put in the window I would happily reimburse her.  

Tonight she tells me that the heat has been really uncomfortable and says there have been several bugs near where she's sleeping and sends me a pic of what looks like a bed bug to me.  The pic is very blurry and the background has no context so I don't know where its been taken from.  She also complained about the $99 cleaning fee.  And she says she can tell I'm a very caring host and that she would hate to leave a negative review and that I should refund what I feel is fair. 

So now I feel blackmailed.  I'm obviously getting a negative review unless I give her a full refund and even then who knows?  An honor amongst thieves type of thing?  I have had a ton of feed back over how clean the condo is.  The reviews almost always mention how clean it is.  I had one guest tell me privately she saw a big ant.  Also the $99 cleaning fee we charge doesn't cover the actual cleaning fee of $160 we pay!  Which is the norm here.  She also booked under the going rate for the condo right now.  

The guest also brought a dog and didn't say anything about it in her booking or pay for it.  We do have a pet fee.  All this got me really thinking so I googled her name and lo and behold she sued her employer for what looks to be a frivolous lawsuit.

What do I do?  I reached out to Airbnb; no answer yet.  But from past experience Airbnb is slanted towards guests and not hosts so Im worried Im getting a negative review and nothing I can do about it.  I just gained super host status.  I also leave all guests including the bad ones good reviews out of fear they will leave me a bad review.  Thank you for any advice you have.

7 Replies 7
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Jared268   If your guest is leaving tomorrow then in your situation I would probably just grit my teeth and let it go .. for the moment.  If she was staying longer then I would be inclined to let her know that she would be most welcome to cancel, leave and have a full refund for any remaining nights.  Unfortunately there are many guests out there that do push for refunds and I find it extremely irritating when their issues revolve around insects that can gain entry any time a door or window is opened or around an amenity, such as the air conditioning, which was never listed in the first place.  I don’t see either of those issues as a valid reason for a refund and unless she has complained and has evidence of an unclean property then I don’t see why you should refund the cleaning fee either.

With regards to the undisclosed pet I suspect the minute you mention it your guest will claim it is a ‘service animal’ so it is probably best just to let that one go as well.  

Some guests know how to ‘play the system’ to get discounts and refunds and it would seem that this guest is one of them.  Make sure that ALL communication is on the Airbnb platform.  Threatening you with a negative review unless you refund is absolutely not allowed and any review she did leave would be removed if you can prove this.

With regards to reviews, leaving good reviews for bad guests does not do future hosts any favours at all.  This guest may have five star reviews but has likely pulled this stunt before and the previous hosts have not reviewed honestly.  Had her previous reviews shown this to be the case then you most likely would not have accepted her as a guest without further clarification.  Your guest cannot see your review until she has either written her own one or if she does not, until your one is published after 14 days.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kate867 wrote:

Threatening you with a negative review unless you refund is absolutely not allowed and any review she did leave would be removed if you can prove this.

This guest sounds like a sneaky one. She knows how to play the system. For example, notice the wording @Jared268 said she used RE this:

"she says she can tell I'm a very caring host and that she would hate to leave a negative review and that I should refund what I feel is fair."

Even though her message is loud and clear, she doesn't directly threaten to leave a bad review if he doesn't give her a refund. I suspect this guest is already used to playing the system or she's read up about it on those websites that teach you how to get a free Airbnb stay.

Thank you very much Kate!  All great advice.  I guess I'll let it play out and see how strongly she pushes for a refund and I'll refund her money in that case.  I just really dont want a bad review on top of it.  Thank you for the insight on leaving guest reviews thats a relief.  I can start leaving more honest reviews from now on.  Hosts need to look out for each other with good accurate feed back.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jared268   How long was her stay?  She will probably try to get a full refund no matter how much you refund her, but depending on the number of days I might offer 10-20%, even though she is not really due any refund for booking a place with no AC and then complaining about it. If we're talking only 2 or 3 days it might be worth it to give a larger refund.

Taking a photo of the bug is really concerning though because if she reports this to Airbnb then they will almost surely shut the listing down until you call out an exterminator and get a report documenting no bugs.

Always remember though she can leave you a bad review even if you give her a full refund.

Thank you Mark.  She only stayed 2 nights.  Shes leaving today.  I am worried about the bug photo.  I mean if its legitimately a problem I would have an exterminator right away.  But Im a little cynical.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Does this guest have any reviews? 

She has one 5 star review