Agent commission question

Agent commission question

Hi AirBnB hosts

We have our home on AirBnB in Australia. I would like opinion from hosts or agents on my manager/agent’s commission structure. 
They charge 18.5% on ‘total booking cost’ plus $50 booking fee. There’s GST on the 18.5% added as well. We assumed total booking cost was the accommodation cost including booking fee and cleaning. AirBnB service fees come out of the total cost (a deduction) but they’re ADDING it on top of the original accommodation cost.
Here's their maths on a recent booking.
Guest Mr and Mrs X

12 Nights
Accom $3669.15
Booking Fee $50
Clean $270
Gross Accommodation $3989.15
AirBnB Fee $658.21
They then ADD this as a COST to get a
Total Cost of  $4647.36 

From this new ‘total cost’ of $4647.36, they take 18.5% = $859.76
$859.76 + GST = $945.74
Then they add another $50 booking fee at the end. 

Total commission is
$995.74
Thoughts, opinion?

5 Replies 5
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Richard3359 ,

If I understood the calculation correctly, the bottom line is that out of around 4000 (Gross accommodation), they take around 1000, which is 25%. 

I don't know what is customary in Australia, but I would definitely check alternative services.
Consider using a simpler method where you pay a percentage of your host earnings, somewhere between 15%-20%.

It’s how they came to the total cost/gross accommodation figure that irks me. Adding AirBnB service fee ON TOP OFF the gross accommodation costs is a ‘unique’ way of inflating the amount the commission is charged.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Richard3359 

Is there a reason why you're using a "manager"? It sure appears that they're not really doing anything you can't do, and are charging you a small fortune for it.

I have known of other hosts that fall into this rut, and spend a bundle for something they can easily do themselves. Yet it's not clear what other value your "manager" adds to your business. Maybe there's something else that isn't mentioned here?

??

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

surely the time to ask that question is before you commission their services . Did you get comparative quotes from other cohosts before commissioning them @Richard3359 

I'm a cohost and charge a flat % but I don't know what's standard in Australia 

We were in a tricky situation, about to work in a remote location. Manager came highly recommended . We were simply told “18.5 of total costs”. The maths was never unpacked in a practical way, no spreadsheets with breakdowns were provided until last week. We’re closer to home now so hosting ourselves.