AirBnB photo shoot offer. Should I do it??

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

AirBnB photo shoot offer. Should I do it??

I know I've read more than one post here about how people were disappointed by their AirBnB photo shoot. I believe some of the issues range from the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos, as well as the fact that AirBnB somehow owns the photos? 

I feel that my listing would really benefit from professional photos. I tried to do this through AirBnB when I first started out, but the service wasn't available in my area. I'm doing fine with reservations, but I know better photos would better illustrate what I'm offering. 

Now, they sent me an offer that's super cheap. Something about how this service is discounted through August 31st. The price is $70??? Not too much to lose if they don't turn out well. 

Should I do it? 

Thoughts on this are very welcome. 

Thanks! 

Kia

40 Replies 40

@Kia272 

This is a gift! Absolutely do it!

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Airbnb charged us 80€. And the photographer that showed up was largely disinterested, snapped a few photos, and left. We ended up not using any of them. 

We just had new photos taken by a local pro that we hired. She's good! I haven't put them up yet, but hope to in a week or so.

@Elaine701  that's just what I'm afraid of. I think it's probably hit or miss- you might end up with something great or something really crappy. 

Believe me, I've tried to find someone local but it's just not possible.

I would prefer a choice as to how to pay, and then I could dispute if not satisfied. Unfortunately, that's not how the "company store" works. Uggh. I really would like some professional quality pics. 

Thanks for your reply. 

If you can't find a local photographer ask a local Real estate agent

for a referral. Most of them use photographers for their listings.

@Suze6  thanks for your suggestion. As I said to others who made the same suggestion, I'm in a cultural void out here. There are very few "professional" services of any type  here, and the local real estate market doesn't seem to utilize professional photography. Most of the listings look like the realtor brought his or her uncle with an iPhone to take the pics, if the realtor didn't do it him or herself. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kia272 my vote is don't do it. You will no longer have copyright to the photos so cannot use them on other platforms. Also 'pay peanuts get monkeys' springs to mind

@Mike-And-Jane0  I know...I know....I get it. I'm so tempted though. However, likely to end up disappointed, based on others' experience, it seems.  

Thanks for your input. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

I think the biggest downfall of these "professional" listings is that the photos look really nice and professionally done but in reality, the reviews tell a different story. "The place was better than the photos!" is a great compliment. Do you have a friend who is really good on their iPhone who could do a photoshoot for $70?

@Emilia42  I wish I had that friend in the area. I do, but most of those folks are 3 hours away. That's a big ask. I'm just so tempted because it seems so easy, but obviously there's a little voice telling me it's not a good decision, or I wouldn't be asking the community, lol. 

I actually have the feeling that AirBnB will come back at me and tell me the service is not available in my area after all. I think that's highly likely. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kia272 like others I ended up discarding my Airbnb photos. I hired a real real estate photographer for our cabins and it was not that expensive. For our basement suite (currently snoozed) I did my own photos with an iphone, a tripod, and a moderately wide-angle lens and am perfectly happy with them if I do say so myself.

I know some hosts believe it's better to undersell the property with unprofessional photos-- I don't agree. I've never had anyone complain that the photos made it look bigger or better than it was. And I know as a guest good photos make me much more likely to book. I think a host who is professional about photos is likelier to be professional in other respects too.

@Lisa723  I can't find a real estate photographer in the area. I've looked! Most do some great photography, and that would be my first choice. I really think I would benefit from some better photos.

I think the experience is probably hit or miss, depending on who they send.  For $70, it might be worth a chance. Thanks!

@Kia272 our photographer was happy to use an otherwise vacant gap night in our cabin as partial payment. This way they were also able to get some really good twilight shots. You might consider something like that as a way to tempt a pro or an accomplished friend to make the trip?

@Lisa723 that has actually occurred to me. I had a professional photographer inquire about the cabin, but she changed her mind about booking before I could broach the subject. I also had a guy stay who specialized in night-sky photography. He messaged me after his stay to say that he had taken some photos of the cabin while staying, and was I interested in seeing them? I said of course, but he never followed through in sending them.  

I'm in kind of a weird area, which is great for tourism but otherwise void of professionals with these skills. The locals generally travel to other areas to work. I would love to put some $$ into the local economy, but simply haven't found somebody with the skills. I'd happily trade a night at the cabin as partial payment. 

@Kia272 our cabins are in a similar situation. Airbnb didn't have any photographers available. (We got, but no longer use, Airbnb photography for our basement suite.) The photographer that we got is a real estate photographer. I would check with realtors who operate in the area to see who they use. If real estate is being bought and sold, then somebody is taking pictures.