Car Insurance

Chris14085
Level 2
United Kingdom

Car Insurance

I casually mentioned to my car insurer that I sometimes gave a guest a lift to or from the station and was that included in my cover 

They came back to say that was fine as long as I didn't get paid for it but they then wrote to me saying that as I have a second occupation as a guest house proprietor that there was an additional premium of 180 GBP to pay 

I strongly disputed this of course in the end we settled on Airbnb host as a second occupation and an additional premium of £150 payable or they would cancel my insurance 

So guys 

Be careful out there to make sure all your occupations which generate income are included in your car insurance or indeed any insurance 

Grrrr

Chris 
[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

4 Replies 4
Sophia
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Chris14085, thank you so much for sharing this with fellow hosts so they are aware in case it happens to them 🙏🏽

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes so be careful to be clear it's not for giving a lift to the station it's just because I have Airbnb guests as a secondary income 

Quite what difference it makes I do not know 

I'm writing to the AA insurance to see if I get get some sense from them 

I won't hold my breath 

Chris 

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Chris14085   That does seem strange.  I have holiday let proprietor listed as my occupation for my car insurance.  Beforehand I had Events Manager.  My insurance premium didn't change when my occupations did.

I wonder if it is because you have a 2nd occupation ?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If I was using my  vehicle for commercial use ie to transport Airbnb guests I would expect my car insurance to go up. @Chris14085 

If your guests want a lift and minicabs/public transport aren't available in your town -  if you want to offer this as an additional service - personally I would charge for it to cover increases in my insurance to cover commercial use.

Sorry you got caught out.