Challenging home owner

Ellen1223
Level 1
Sheridan, WY

Challenging home owner

I have recently started helping a new host with their property. I am currently co-hosting the listing.

I have a list of things the home owner still needs to take care of, but they are unwilling to spend the money or hire the help to get it done. 

The yard is awful, there are weeds going crazy, dead grass, I patched together a sprinkler with a timer but it isn't keeping up with the issue. They haven't fixed a door inside the house, a few other minor issues as well as being to spray for sliders!

I just don't know what to do. The home owner mows the lawn but frequently forgets to.It's kind of driving me crazy. I'm not sure how to motivate/convince  them. I emailed over a copy of a recent review that was gracious, but really spelled it out for them from a guests perspective, but still nothing. 

Any ideas? Advice?

I have been a host for over a year and my own listing is pristine. I don't understand half a#$ing this 🤷‍♀️

My earnings on this property are so low, the 20% rate has cleaning fees coming out of it as apparently that's how payouts get calculated. I have hired a cleaner, so I'm not doing that part, but they make more than I do on each reservation!

I'm so frustrated to be earning so little that I don't really want to just tackle it all in my own dime. 

Sorry for the vent sess, whooh!

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Hi @Ellen1223 

Alas...I have been in the same situation and had to terminate our Co-Host agreement. Both Host and Co-Host have to be on the "same page" when it comes to managing an Airbnb and you both have to want to meet the high standards required to be successful. If reviews suffer, they show on your profile as Co-Host as well. If you want to advertise your services on the Airbnb Co-Host platform, and your ratings fall below a certain point due to this situation, your profile will be removed from the Co-Host platform.

Hopefully you have a written contract that allows you to end the agreement without penalty to you. This Host needs to realize that 5-star reviews and a successful business don't "magically happen." You have to spend the money and do the work to have a top notch Airbnb that will be successful. Those not willing to spend the money and do the work will simply see the listing fail. Don't go down with the sinking ship. It's also not worth the effort you are putting in.