Class action lawsuit against Quebec gov / CITQ

Barbara--and-Mark-0
Level 6
Chelsea, Canada

Class action lawsuit against Quebec gov / CITQ

Hi,  

I am looking for hosts interested in participating.

Reply if interested.

Thanks,

Barbara

22 Replies 22
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Barbara--and-Mark-0 
Have you browsed through the CC to see if there are like minded people in your location who may like to join in?
Or browsed through and found news related articles that name others who may share a similar viewpoint who may like to join in your actions?

Food for thought and one way of networking to ensure change.

Be mindful also that there's Academic Research Papers available online including in the likes of Google Scholar in relation to ABB - many of which have been 'rubber stamped e.g plagiarized' across the world claiming the same negative aspects towards those using ABB and it's impacts, those papers when viewed with an open mind are full of holes as a blanket approach has been taken without factoring into account it doesn't matter who people are or what advertising platform people use, there's still Rule of Law and good and bad eggs everywhere.

Remember when people only had Bush Telegraph to communicate with others, or pitched themselves under a Tree because that's the only option of choice they had to live?

Now we have Houses in most places to accommodate people.

Sometimes we have to go backwards to go forwards in life.

All the best from across the yonder and oceans in New Zealand

Quebec gov is trampling on international law, plus two fundamental rights :

The right to work

The right to property

@Helen427  are you able to share any links here? my local council has no restrictions on airbnb but it's only a matter of time. I had friends in the Barossa who got shut down, which is insanity, but most of these regional councils are still run by out of touch boomers. I want to have a meeting with them at some point and help direct them in the right direction if/when they decide to put restrictions into place. 

@Gillian166  and others, Have a look under Airbnb news on Google.

Add to the mix, those who keep complaining about those who rent out properties through ABB who are out of touch with what some people are going through out there to have accommodation.

As a host I've from time to time had people who have been homeless who have fallen through the cracks because of their status, and I'm talking people who don't fit into the standard 'Tick the box' homeless disadvantaged people we tend to hear about.

Sadly, we had a woman in her early 70's who had been sleeping and living in her car found deceased in  her car in my suburb this week.

She slipped through the cracks for whatever reason.

Had those services who others receive help from been here for the lady, she could have had a nice room in a home through ABB, like others who are part of our 'Hidden Homeless' do.

It's time those who diss ABB woke up to the fact we are a much needed place in society to help accommodate such people in our homes, or those who may be between their own longer term places for whatever reason.

I recently had a guest stay who was very thankful to have ABB as an avenue, who refused outright to stay in a motel because they are now predominantly filled with Homeless people , some of whom have been recently released from prison or have serious issues that this person felt very uncomfortable with hence she choose to stay in an ABB home instead where she felt relaxed and safe.

I call them the 'Hidden Homeless' and have been through it myself.

It's overdue some who keep making wild allegations ABB whole homes are taking up accommodation others need looked outside the square.

No everyone rents out STR for financial gain, but do it to help those in genuine need of a safe place to rest for whatever reason.

Andrew590
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

Hello @Barbara--and-Mark-0 

My husband and I just received 2 fines for a total of 7500$ because we didn't register our short term apt rental - there are so many contradictions to invoque in this case that I'm very tempted to respond "non-coupable" and take our chances in court. I'm also writing a letter or two because we did not receive any warning. At this stage, it's been a good gig for my musician husband but the fine is almost as much as the revenues earned this year, especially with the long hiatus due to travel restrictions etc. This is so punitive while we've been offering an essential service for travellers who need to isolate, not to mention the occupation tax remitted with each rental. We are mad as hell. Not sure how a joint action works tho.

Anne and Andrew

Hi Anne and Andrew, we started a discussion in the French forum on that topic with @Sylvie1177. She has the same issue. I suggest first to write a complaint to protecteurducitoyen.qc.ca . Depending on your case, they may or may not be able to help (Sylvie may advise you more on this). The goal is to avoid going to the Tribunal which is - in my opinion - an abuse of process aiming at intimidating the Airbnb community. As for the collective action, I would like to have at least 10 people given the cost to start such procedure (at least 5000$). Plus we need to gather as much info as possible to set the right strategy. @Emilie please share with whoever may be interested 

Hello, I have the same issue. What is the link for the French forum?

Allo Marie-Chantal, 

As-tu trouvé le forum français sur ce problème?

Merci,

Steeve

Hello @Andrew590 I  know that for sure, you can make it as only one fine, so half the price. 

@Marie-Chantal11 merci ppur le tuyau. Comment savez-vous ça? En tout cas même payer un constat nous semble aberrant. 🙄

Je réponds au message de Barbara tout à l'heure. 

Merci! 

Je suis sur un groupe Facebook : 'Airbnb québec' et plusieurs couples en parlent et certains ont fait cette démarche. 

Could you share the group? I can't find it. Thank u

Hi all,

We are a couple that owns our home in Montreal and rents it out a couple time a year. We just received fines for each of us for a huge amount of money. Like you, no advanced notice or we would've done what was needed to avoid the fine.

What has been happening on your end? It's been a year for you and we just got the fines in July 2022. Did you plead not guilty? Are you in a joint action case? We are unable to pay the fine, so have to find a solution. Thanks!

Jenny and Steeve

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you mean you got a fine because you didn't register your listing with your local government @Jennifer147