Enhanced Cleaning Protocol

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Enhanced Cleaning Protocol

After reading the new enhanced cleaning protocol and subsequently passing the quiz, I have since read the more in depth version and decided that taking down and cleaning my 3 sets of very heavy 10 ft long curtains for cleaning & sanitising will be too much.  Similarly, with the re-washing of already clean and put away crockery, cutlery, glasses, pots & pans etc in the kitchen.  (I always previously did a check to see everything which was put away in the cupboards was clean and any pots and pans which were not up to standard, I of course re-washed) but to re-wash everything clean in the cupboards is ridiculous!   For this reason,  as far as the enhanced cleaning protocol,   "I'M OUT" as they would say in Dragon's Den and will be taking down my badge shortly to replace it with the 72 hour one!  

I have 5 star cleaning reviews which I intend to maintain, de-cluttered the space - removing books, games & various other things and will allow several days before and after bookings.  I will also use masks, gloves etc and follow all the simplified cleaning protocol rules and provide cleaning materials and sanitisers for my guests.  But I'm not going to take down those curtains or re-wash clean plates!!

Good luck all!

43 Replies 43
Jaimie-and-Todd0
Level 2
Seneca Falls, NY

Ozone generator.  Works well after stays.  Do need to vacate while it does its thing.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medical-professionals-sanitize-covid-19-transports-with-air...

No no no no no. Ozone generators will (very slowly) filter air and might trap any virus droplets in the air, but they will not lift or kill any virus on surfaces. You MUST disinfect. MUST MUST MUST. And with a proper disinfectant that is proven to kill the virus.

@Trevor243, too funny, might have to change your tag to Jacinda

or Dr Tedros.. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I made the exact same decision. Makes you wonder what silly person thought anyone would think all those steps were a good idea. 

and I sincerely wonder just how many hosts clicked that “enhanced” button but then have just carried on as per usual. 

(look at my photos and you’ll know just how silly it would be to wash my walls!)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kelly149,

Is that exposed OSB board?

@Debra300 yes, OSB. Normally meant for roofing purposes and comes painted in stripes for the roofers to nail through, but if you call the lumber yard they'll do it without the paint. Very clean but not at all washable.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kelly149,

Yep, OSB is versatile.  We've used it as the base under mattresses on platform beds, and as subfloors.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Jillie1 , I like yourself and others : @Debra300 , @Kelly149 , @Jaimie-and-Todd0  & @Heather961   Thought to myself: “way to go” as my cleaning regime is already doing most of this, why not! Read and passed the test and then thought, I’ll spray the curtains and blinds with a disinfectant, but I’m not washing them..... I’m too honest to get the verification and not tick every box so it became a “no”.

I’ll wipe and clean as required, but as I was already allowing a day’s buffer between bookings, I decided I don’t need this added **bleep**e in my life and went for the three day buffer! 

I’ve made a few adjustments: such as requiring a minimum of a three day stay, to balance out the extra cleaning and costs.  Guests can choose somewhere else if they want less time in a space.

I have bought larger quantities of essential cleaning items, sanitiser etc, but I have ADDED to my PPE, masks and shoe covers. Generally I throw off my thongs (flip flops) and go barefoot, but I’ve bought plastic shoe covers to put on my feet!  👣 💐🙌🏼

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Cathie19@Jillie1@Kelly149@Jaimie-and-Todd0@Heather961@Wendy117@Michelle1709@Sarah977,

After trying it for two reservations, I have opted-out of the enhanced cleaning protocol, because there are items that I just cannot/will not commit to doing.  We used a dozen microfiber towels, two mops, a broom, paper towels, a sponge, an extendable Swiffer, a vacuum, eight different cleaning products, laundry soda, oxygen brightener, bleach, dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent and some paint to clean and touch up the interior of a 775 s.f./72 s.m. two bed apartment, plus the outside.  We wore face masks and reusable gloves.  It took about 7-8 hours over two days, but that's an estimate, because we did the cleaning in several mini-sessions.

I did a survey of Airbnb properties in my area that are similar to mine, and found that only about 10% of the listings had the enhanced cleaning emblem.  Clearly that doesn't represent widespread adoption of the protocol.  There were quite a few listings which had the clean and tidy emblem.  I think that most Airbnb guests will not see much difference between the two cleaning emblems, and not spend much, if any, time to find a distinction.

I am confident, that like you, our cleaning processes already include most of the guidelines supported by reputable healthcare, and governmental and environmental agencies.  Guests who are really concerned about sanitation can bring their own gear like my current guest who carried a UV wand with her.

Heather961
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Debra300  what were you doing according to the protocol that you won't continue to do?

It's very difficult to know what is necessary and what is overkill. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Heather961,

I will not launder the curtains between each stay, but will regularly spray a fabric disinfectant on them.  I cannot commit to cleaning the walls.  When I tried, the paint faded, and I was using Method multi-purpose cleaner.  I had to touch up the paint on the walls.  Now I feel like Hyacinth Bucket, "Mind the walls."

I also am not going to give my guests hand sanitizer or facial masks.  Hand washing with soap is the recommended by the CDC:  https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html#:~:text=CDC%20recommends%20w...  We provide hand soap in the the bathroom.  Hand sanitizer should be used when soap and water are not available (like when the guests are away from my property).  Guests have to drive to get to my place.  So, they can carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with them to use while out and about.

Some people would be appreciative, but there are some who get very indignant regarding facial masks.  To me, it's not worth the potential blow back if I were to leave masks for the guests since it has become a political hot button in the US.  I can just imagine the review from a "personal freedoms fighter".  "The hosts tried to "make" me wear a mask, and I am in an apartment where I don't even have to interact with them.  They should just keep their liberal views to themselves, because I know the "real" truth about the virus, and I don't have to wear a mask." One star.

@Debra300  I agree about the hand sanitizer- I carry some in my car, but I never use it around the house. For one thing, all that alcohol just dries my hands out and it tends to make my hands feel sticky.

The only place I think it might be useful is right outside the front door, so guests don't touch the doorknob with unsanitized hands after being out.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cathie19  Shoe covers? Really? I can see it in a hospital setting, but there's zero to indicate that the virus is absorbed through one's skin. 

In any case, I have strong suspicion that either hosts are going to be foregoing this absurd cleaning regime (wash the ceiling? Get real, Airbnb, even hospitals don't wash the ceiling with wards full of sick patients) and leave the 72 hours, because they are honest, like you are, or they are going to say they do all that stuff and won't.

@Jillie1  & @Sarah977 , I intend to protect as much as I can and without ticking the Covid19 “enhanced cleaning”, it’s a visual to guests. I decided that the covers can be used by myself, along with a mask, if needing to be in the space when guests are on site. Eg, if they have issues with working devices etc. makes them know I’m caring  about their Covid19 hygiene. They are very cheap on EBay, so decided they were worthwhile to add to my kit. 🙂

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Shoe covers yes. Absolutely.

Walk around in shoes and the virus can get on the shoes. Kick the shoes off later, pick them up and the virus is on your hands. Anything you touch can then be contaminated.

Put shoe covers on during the clean. Remove and bin them after. Your shoes will be clean.