Ever experience this? After a cancellation?

Virgil14
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Ever experience this? After a cancellation?

A guest cancels. The rate was manually set by the host during an extremely high demand time. After the cancellation the dates become available on the calendar. A new guest instantly books the dates at the default lower rate. Logically the rate should be the same as what the host set for the original guest. In this situation it was a $300 difference over 2 nights. I don’t expect the second guest to pay the original rate. Not his fault. This has to have happened before during high demand times (Mardi Gras in New Orleans etc.) and the days before St. Patrick’s Day in Savannah. etc., etc. I’m not so concerned about this $300. I’m more concerned about why this can happen. Seems anti-host. 

Anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Virgil14.. I never experienced this (I rarely set higher prices) .. but if this is the case, this would be a great trick .. I let a friend book a home at a high demand time (as probably all listings has manually set higher prices) .. then the friend cancels within the free 48 h window .. the listing price is set back to the regular price and not the manually higher set price .. et voilà I'll book a nice bargain 🙂

.. if this is the case .. airbnb schould really stop hiring programmer from Kindergarten.

Thanks Mika. I didn’t even think about the potential scam you mention. Airbnb has to fix this. I’m going to pursue the issue until I get a satisfactory answer from Airbnb. Still wondering if others have experienced the situation.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Virgil14 

When the first guest booked, did they book directly from the rate on your calendar or did you send them a special offer? Also, are you using Smart Pricing?

@Emilia42  She booked directly from the rate on the calendar. I’m not using Smart Pricing. 

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Virgil14... if nobody else have experienced this, you could make a test run with a friend who books your listing at a higher set price date and then cancel.