Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Oh my goodness! I just got the most AMAZING undermount light for the area above my range. My old one had a decorative rim broken by a guest trying to change a light bulb (? why do people do things like this.) I got a replacement bulb and it just blew out. Seems the type of halogen bulb that was used in this Ikea special is no longer made. So I ordered something on Amazon with good reviews, not knowing what to expect. 

This thing is THE BOMB. So bright and looks great. The light can be angled. Its LED so it will last forever. For $35 now I can see really well as I disinfect my dark counters (the thing about dark counters is I never really can tell if they are clean. When we replace them I have to do a lighter color for my own OCD sanity.)

What is one little thing that really made a difference for you in your listing? 

43 Replies 43

The mirror was a great add for us. Hair dryer was a great add. 

Both of those items are a must in all our units. Little touches make a big difference!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

1. a hair dryer in each bathroom. The cheapest possible kind, but in each one. Guests no longer misplace it, ask him where there is one etc. If one breaks, there is a backup
  2. portable clothing dryer. It sits in the closet. Drying has always been a bottleneck in my cleaning routine. Now I can throw one set of towels to dry even if guests are arriving and hang the second set for them to use
  3. rolling clothing rack for the bedroom that does not have a closet
  4. fake flowers. Of course fresh is better but costly. These add so much life and warmth to the place
  5. grill to each property even with the tiniest outdoor space. I think some people will not book if there is no grill

I don't do fresh flowers anymore. Some guests have allergies. I also no longer leave beer or wine - some guests are recovering. You never know in advance.

@Pat114  we do both and ask in advance. Guests get a bottle of wine or a food treat and we ask about allergies and preferences. Same with flowers-- "We put fresh flowers out for each stay so please let us know if you have any allergies that might make that less than enjoyable." Guests love the pre-stay contact and always respond. We don't want to spend money on something a guest won't enjoy!

Brilliant solution! Thanks for sharing that, Laura.

Laura3157
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

A nice new welcome book. I found this beautiful design on Etsy and it was so easy to add in my photos and information. This is the most professional welcome book we have ever seen in an Air BnB and I wish I would have ordered one years ago! 

I had the book professionally printed on cardstock, had each page laminated and spiral bound the book on the top edge. Here is the link to the item on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/864962471/airbnb-welcome-book-template-20-page?ref=yr_purchases 

Thanks @Laura3157 ! I also have a shop on Etsy and am always looking to support my fellow Etsians. This is great!  I do my welcome book updates every year over New Year's-- I love this template. 

@Laura3157  I never got around to making one of these myself, but as a guest I've been very impressed by the hosts who put together a thoughtful welcome book. When it's there, it's something I always rave about in the review. This degree of professionalism is next-level (I'm just as happy with a list of favorite restaurants scribbled on notebook paper) but it really makes a good impression when hosts show that they've put some thought into their guests' experience and anticipated their needs.

Lisa842
Level 2
White Salmon, WA

We have had some fun with an "I'll trade you" crate. We have a small crate that we put an item in with a notebook that says "I will trade you a .... for a ...." We have had guests trade out mac-n-cheese for a multi-tool for an antique replica car...etc, etc.  The trade is recorded in the notebook so we have a record of the items that have been traded. It is a thrill to come in and see the latest trade. 

That is so cute! What a fun idea. I might try that for 2021. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Upgrading the beds from US queen size to US king size and the 40-inch "dumb" TVs to 55-inch Smart TVs.  For a short while we also offered Netflix and Prime Video, but found that guests would sign in with their own accounts.  So, we discontinued those subscriptions.

We've just done some more renovations in the suites, adding kitchens and washing machines.  Since we aren't yet allowed to re-open, the guest reaction is unknown, but we think they will have a very positive impact to the guest experience.

Laura976
Level 4
Newport, OR

I try to offer as many little extra touches as we can reasonably maintain. 

- Cellphone charging pads by each beside.

- Battery powered candles with remotes. 

- Birthday candles in the kitchen “junk” drawer, which is actually well organized. 

- Duvet covers on all beds that are washed with every guest. 

- Makeup wipes in the hopes it will save our towels. 

- Kitchen with things needed by a cook who loves cooking. Do need to add an electric hand mixer. 

Things that are on my list to improve

- label all light switches.

- label cabinets and drawers. 

- full length mirror for second bedroom.  

- makeup light for the desk area in the master in case the one full bath is busy. 

- skylight cover. Still working out an easy low cost solution. 

I did get several helpful ideas from this post. Thank you all!

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

A Nest thermostat. I can put the heating on for guests without having to be at the property. I can also turn it off when they check out which saves on heating costs. Best thing I ever put in to my properties.