Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Getting a property with a POOL. Is there just too much liability ?

Tina6942
Level 1
Laguna Beach, CA

Getting a property with a POOL. Is there just too much liability ?

I'm considering getting a vacation house with a pool.

We are experienced hosts, but I'm terrified about the thought of liability a pool poses.

I know many get waivers for a pool.   Does that really work ? 

Am I allowed to prohibit kids or those under 18 from the property ? 

The property in Q is for Palm Springs, CA.

More than anything I just don't want anything to happen to a kid at my property.   2nd is the liability. 

What can I do here ? 

2 Replies 2

@Tina6942  Although Airbnb offers a liability protection insurance - https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance  - I would recommend that anyone offering a pool purchase their own liability coverage. But that's just for the litigious side of things - at the end of the day, of course you still don't want children to get hurt.

Airbnb does allow you to specify in your House Rules column that the property is not safe for infants/children, but it doesn't have an "Adults Only" filter. The non-discrimination policy does not list age among the protected classes, so it doesn't appear to be in breach of any rule if you state that all guests must be 18 or older. But if you want to make sure this restriction is upheld, I wouldn't recommend using Instant Book. You'd have to verify with each request that there are no children. I'm not sure that's an ideal business strategy, if you have a property that is particularly appealing to families, but there's not a specific penalty if you decline a request for safety concerns.

@Anonymous @Tina6942 depending on the locality, discriminating against families with children may not be legal; maybe consult a local real estate attorney on that.

Re. liability, I suggest the first thing to do is talk with an insurer who covers vacation rentals, e.g. Proper or Foremost.

We rent places on a lake, with boats, and our insurer has specific requirements re. house rules and signage, but does not require guests to sign waivers.

Ultimately, if you are going to be permanently stressed by renting a property with a pool, I would say it's probably not worth the mental health cost.