Got my listing Suspended by Airbnb - 3 years hosting 4.8/50 rating with over 225 reviews

Koa26
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

Got my listing Suspended by Airbnb - 3 years hosting 4.8/50 rating with over 225 reviews

Hi, 

Tonight while looking our calendars, I realized our listing were suspended. we had NO CONTACT from Airbnb. We tried to contact them on what's going on and there was no transparency or answer on their behalf.  

We believe we had a booking last night at 10:30 pm from a guy that we already had in one of our listing and which ended with hookers and the Police in the listing 4 months ago, we have the instant booking option, and we asked him to directly cancel and that we are not going to host him and we reminded him what he did. We believe he may reported us as we were so mad how these people never learn and keep hurting hosts. We don't see any other reason otherwise. 

We still have 225 reviews, with 80-90% of them are 5 star reviews. How can Airbnb suspend and ignore hosts with such an experience because of 1 stupid guest booking at 10 pm to bring hookers in people house? 

26 Replies 26
Koa26
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

So all we got after 12h, is a safety customer service, that is off now for the next 3 days, calling us and telling us she will get back to us once their investigations have concluded.... and Airbnb twitter account replying to us that the team handling the case will reach out to use ASAP... 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Koa26 whilst this guest experience was no doubt horrific I guess this latest suspension. episode  demonstrates that hosts have to remain professional at all times and not treated guests (however bad said guest may be). Lets hope Airbnb listen to your side of the story and you get back up and running soon.

Koa26
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

Because we refused to host a guest that bring hookers and prostitutes into our Airbnbs (not the first time) and that reported us for refusing him and being rude with him. We feel that Airbnb gives more credits to trouble makers and criminals than good host.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Your initial post:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Got-my-listing-Suspended-by-Airbnb-3-years-hosting-4-8-5...

The increase of "suspended listings" is a concerning matter for all hosts.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Koa26 I believe with Instant book you have three cancellations within the standard 48 hours per year. host discretion because IB can sometimes allow unsavoury people to make unsafe bookings. This does not allow you to say bad things to the person though. A simple cancellation and a note to Airbnb  that your history indicates that this is not a guest you wished to host again . Be persistant and look for a better explanation . Such as you were over your three cancellations ,or you had not marked 'will not host again' or you in fact also had not refunded money. If you do not refund then you could risk suspension or not really suspension but blocking of those days especially if you have been paid even partly for them H

Koa26
Level 4
Ottawa, Canada

we can’t cancel a booking made at 10pm for the same night even with the 3 cancellations and when someone that make you remember bad memories it’s hard to keep in a cool mood. We asked him to not come and stay away of your place and he was just pushing coming. Yes we should have called Airbnb right there and explain but we need to protect our self even if we have to intimidate people that want to hurt us. It’s called self défense. We 237 reviews with 4.8/5 rating and hosting since years. You guys are like Airbnb you are focusing on the one thing and forgetting 99.99% of the great things abs the commitments abs the good reviews. In which world are we living? 

put yourself in people shoes because seems like you have no clue how it feels to have that kind of people that end up bringing the police in our listings.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Koa 26 I think what you point out is that we are in no way protected through IB from these types of problems . I put a cut off time of 8 , after which people cannot either book same day or arrive. Also two day plus bookings. People turning up at very late hours are very few and simply not accepted. I think a certain group who used to use cheap hotels or motels as fly by ,spur of the minute bookings need to be avoided. Some are legitimate travellers and that is obvious immediately but many are not.These people exist . Airbnb is not the place for them , so just make what adjustments to your requirements that you can. H

Hanan-and-Joe0
Level 1
California, United States

Did you ever get any resolution? They did the same thing to us when we reported a guest who had received noise complaints from our neighbors and wasn’t responding. Instead of suspending the guest account, they suspended ours. It makes no sense at all as we are the ones that reported it thinking that we were trying to stay ahead and keep them notified as partners in our business. Wondering how long it took for them to end suspend your account. It’s been five days and we have not even received one word from them

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Hanan-and-Joe0 ,

Please be assured that I have raised this to the related teams as well for further updates. I hope someone reaches out to you soon regarding this.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Hanan, it took probably around 7-10 days of intense efforts : Facebook, Twitter, here and calling/messaging to have the suspension removed. But yes, Airbnb will rather give more credit to a guest with 1 review than a superhost with 400 reviews. Since we have changed and went from 100% of our booking through Airbnb to now 65% airbnb and 35% others. 

Hi Koa, Just wondering what other platforms you are using? AirBNB also suspended my account due to complaining about a guest who was smoking. 

Make sure you diversify your bookings and don't get stuck with Airbnb suspension and misstratemant in the future.