Guest wants to check in a day late

Fergus32
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Guest wants to check in a day late

I have a guest who has messaged me asking to check in a day late. They are prepared to pay for the night they’ll miss but I am unavailable to check them in the day after. I don’t want to use a lockbox as the guest has no reviews and has been very difficult to deal with prior to arrival.

They are due to arrive tomorrow (Monday) and stay for a week but want to push check in out to Tuesday. I won’t be available to check them in at all after the check in date that’s in their booking (tomorrow, Monday)

Where so I stand?

20 Replies 20

Sounds like a similar situation. Did you host them in the end?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fergus32 

I did. They actually stayed for about three weeks (I host long term stays). It was supposed to be a month, but because of the whole COVID excuse (which I am sure was not true), the stay got shortened by a few days.

I did not personally dislike these guys. The were not 'bad' people, nor were they some kind of scammers. However, the were not ideal guests at all. They smoked in the bedroom (cigarettes and weed), even though I am pretty lenient about smoking and there are other areas they could have used. They made an awful mess in the kitchen and the amount of trash and food waste I had to deal with after they left was beyond anything one would normally expect.

The main problem was that they complained constantly about their room being freezing, which I didn't understand, and to the point where one was so rude and aggressive about it that I had to sit them down and tell them it was NOT okay to speak to me like that.

The weird thing is, that although my house is big and old and therefore cold in winter, that bedroom is the warmest in the house and they had no issue with the temperature in the rest of the house and walked around in vest tops. They kept complaining, but refused to use the extra bedding I supply and refused to let me into the room to check if the heaters were okay. They kept saying the heaters worked fine but the room was still freezing. I couldn't understand it. I realised later that they must have been opening the windows all the time because they were smoking in there.

Anyway, like I said, not the worst guests in the world, but because of all the weird shenanigans prior to their arrival, I had a gut feeling that these guests were going to be hard work and they were...

That being said, I got paid for the whole month, there were no major damages and they didn't leave a negative review. In fact, they didn't leave a review at all.

Thanks @Huma0 for showing me another side of a situation. I hope everything goes well for the host. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

WOW! This entire drama is amazing to me. Guest requested to check in one day later and agreed to pay for it. Since host has negative feelings about guest, it appears host is going out of his way to not make any type of accommodation for guest. It doesn’t matter how host feels about the guest. Also, it doesn’t matter that guest had no reviews. Host accepted the reservation knowing this.

This is a lose-lose situation because if guest ends up checking in, host can rest assured that he’ll be given a 1*. And to make matters worse, guest could claim some imaginary deficiency in rental, notify airbnb, and the entire reservation gets cancelled and guest gets a full refund. 

The question for host. Is this worth the hassle?

Obviously you didn't read the thread as there is much more to this story than the guest requesting to check in one day late.

At the end of the day this is a rental of a family home, not a hotel business, and I need to be comfortable that the guests I host aren't going to cause me problems. They have caused non stop problems for the past week and I don't have confidence that this will be the case.

When I accepted their booking I obviously didn't know that I would feel this way but now I do and I think I am well within my rights to meet the guests and ensure that the people staying in my house are the people who made the booking.

To answer your question about it being worth the hassle - I'd say that the hassle to me if they trash my house or cause disturbance with my neighbours would be far greater than a few messages with Airbnb support so yes it's worth my while making sure that this doesn't happen.

@Fergus32 I did read your entire message. Good luck on whichever route you decide to take.