Guidance needed please/Thanks

Guidance needed please/Thanks

Hello Air bnb Community,

I have had less bookings during Covid times and so i have now received a letter asking me to pay Council tax  and an additional premium fine, as I am being charged for second property ( received less bookings than the set minimum as per council standards)  even though bnb stayed empty then.

What are my rights?

anyone with similar experience, can guide me please? 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Raj

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rj54 The Welsh are cracking down on people who avoid council tax by saying their second home is a holiday rental even though they set the rate at such an exorbitant amount that it never gets booked. I think they will want to see a property let for over 250 (I can't remember the exact figure) days per year which is a high occupancy and may be designed to cut down on STR properties altogether.

Anyway - with that background I fear you are just going to have to pay council tax (and a multiple which can go as high as 3)

Thanks Mike for your input. I take your point.

I feel most holiday lets would have suffered with less bookings in 2020-21 (during Covid times)  not just mine. As out of Covid i got adequate bookings and price been same all through. I believe more in airbnb community may have faced similar experiences and can guide way ahead to appeal. Will wait for further responses.

Thanks