Historic Ratings Haunt!

Greg241
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Historic Ratings Haunt!

I have been a host on AirBnB since 2015. I believe I was one of the first 20 or so listings on Marco Island, Florida when I set it up. For the majority of that time, I have maintained SuperHost status. My listing currently has an average rating of 4.88 with 121 reviews.

Obviously, things change a lot over 5 years. Everyone becomes a better host over time and with practice! We have also fully gutted and remodeled our unit since then, earning rave reviews with the new design compared to the old-dated look. I also believe AirBnB has tweaked its rating system somewhat over the past 5 years (in the past, if I remember right, guests just left one overall rating?). The point being, having a few old 4-star reviews will always continue to haunt me.

I have noticed that my listing has slowly dropped position in the search to other SuperHosts who have fewer ratings, but slightly higher overall averages. For the dates I am looking at right now, the following listings all appear before me: 4.95 / 85 reviews, 5.0 / 19 reviews, 4.95 / 22 reviews (as a note nightly rate doesn't seem to play a factor in the ordering either: $250, $130, $119 respectively to my $143).

I wish AirBnB would show some more appreciation to tenured hosts that got them to where they are today. My older reviews are brining down my average, and I will never surpass a newer host with a handful of recent 5-star reviews. Maybe show an average rating for the past 12 months for even comparison? Or round ratings to one decimal place on the search page and show the detailed 2 decimal rounding on the listing page?

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Greg241   I did a search with basic criteria, location, dates and number of guests.  Your listing came up first.  Over the years hosts have posted similar concerns about location on the search and when other hosts look them up, it usually comes up higher on the search than the host.  I have NO idea why, but I do know that rating is not the only logarithm that affects the search results.

Hi Linda - Thank you for the feedback. That is interesting.

I still think it would be helpful for AirBnB to show a apples-to-apples comparison of a host's recent ratings! 

@Linda108 

You wrote:

"but I do know that rating is not the only logarithm that affects the search results."

The average rating has no impact at all to the positioning in search results. The main factor are the number of clicks onto Your listing.

cc: @Greg241