How did my town get my name and address?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

How did my town get my name and address?

To my surprise, I just received a letter by mail from my town, indicating that I was in violation of a new town ordinance regarding short term rentals.  The letter included a copy of my Airbnb listing.  I have been a host on Airbnb for the past 6 years, and was unaware that a regulation was recently put into place in my town regarding short term rentals and a new permitting and approval process - and of course yearly fees and inspections.  A bit annoyed that notice was not given to town residents that such an important meeting was being held by the planning/zoning board.  But that's a topic for another thread....

I'm not writing to argue the merit of a town requiring hosts to apply and pay for yearly short term rental certificates.  What I am curious about is how did my town get my name and address, when my understanding is that such information is only released by Airbnb upon a confirmed reservation?

The other question I have, is that in order to comply with the application process for receiving a short term rental certificate from my town I need to provide a copy of a current county Hotel Occupancy Tax Certificate.  My  understanding is that occupancy taxes are collected by and paid by Airbnb.  Wondering how I can comply with furnishing a Tax Certificate when I am not the one collecting or paying the taxes?

I'd love to receive answers to those two questions.  Many thanks!

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jude7   Just because you are not actually collecting or paying the taxes, you should have a Tax Certificate.  All the certificate does is act as a tax ID so that if you were to submit taxes, say from a guest who booked direct, the taxes would be credited to your account.   Has AirBnB been paying your taxes all along?  If they have, and you do not have a tax certificate, how are your taxes being credited to you?

My taxes are collected and paid (purportedly) by AirBnB.  I have a State tax ID number, and I file quarterly returns detailing the amount of taxes AirBnB and other OTAs should be paying.  This was at the advice of my CPA and attorney, and further confirmed by the tax authority.

You need to do a little more research.  

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is easy enough to find out who is listing with Airbnb, VRBO, etc and who owns what in any given area, if one has access to county records. Or book a listing, get address and cancel. Your story sounds quite similar to recent ones posted here by others living in upstate NY. They are usually after money, so perhaps best to make sure occupancy taxes are indeed being collected by and paid by Airbnb, for example.  Good luck.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jude7   Just because you are not actually collecting or paying the taxes, you should have a Tax Certificate.  All the certificate does is act as a tax ID so that if you were to submit taxes, say from a guest who booked direct, the taxes would be credited to your account.   Has AirBnB been paying your taxes all along?  If they have, and you do not have a tax certificate, how are your taxes being credited to you?

My taxes are collected and paid (purportedly) by AirBnB.  I have a State tax ID number, and I file quarterly returns detailing the amount of taxes AirBnB and other OTAs should be paying.  This was at the advice of my CPA and attorney, and further confirmed by the tax authority.

You need to do a little more research.  

@Lorna170 thank you for that response. According to the breakdown given to me by Airbnb, my guests are being charged a hotel tax, and gave been for years. I assumed Airbnb was paying it to my county on my behalf. I agree - more research is needed. 

Does anyone know whom to call (and phone number) at Airbnb to get information about tax compliance?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jude7 ,

You can ask your queries to Airbnb Customer Support, and they will be able to guide you through the necessary information via the contact page.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you!

My situation sounds very much the same. Henry county, Georgia sent out letter to hosts in unincorporated areas of the county saying we have to now get a business license and pay occupancy taxes. I’ve also been doing this a few years. Now they are telling us all these these we have to do to qualify. It’s crazy. 

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Jude7 , as @Fred13 stated, it is very easy to get property information via public records (county and or city). It’s also possible that someone reported your listing to the authorities. Our city is currently reviewing whether to allow STRs. During the initial investigative process, the city simply went to Airbnb and accumulated a list of listings within city guidelines. They were able to identify certain neighborhoods and track down properties (based on pictures and or property descriptions within the listing itself). Property owners were them sent a code violation letter along with a copy of their listing.

The City has decided to hold off on taking any action on STRs until the further notice ( this was based on STRs owners showing up to a planning commission meeting and made our case against banning STRs).

Good post. "It’s also possible that someone reported your listing to the authorities." Just like the barking dog saying - 'If he barks and no one hears it, it is not a problem; but if does and someone reports it could be".

Every STRer should keep in mind their benefit to local economies, especially in places influenced by tourism: during the tourist season they provide added occupancy when places tend to get maxed anyway; and tourist do tend to spend extraordinarily without a care when visiting, they are on vacation so any of them not able to find a place is a lost fortune.