How does invoices work if you rent various holiday accomodations

Answered!

How does invoices work if you rent various holiday accomodations

Good afternoon.  I, Garry Goncalves, run a small holiday rental company.  I would like to put the rentals on Airbnb but am not sure what happens with the invoicing.  Do I put the owners of the houses tax number  or my tax number? I have put one or two on Airbnb with the owners details but I thought should I make a separate announcement for each house?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Garry137   How are you running your business?  Are you responsible for the maintenance of the properties or are you just an advertising hub?  

If you are 100% responsible for the turnovers, paperwork and maintenance, earning a percentage of the rental, then with the owner's consent, you should probably list the properties under your own account.  The taxes will be attributed to your business, the payments will come to your business, and you will pay the homeowner as per your contract with them.  If you are just an advertising venue, then the owner should list the property themselves with their information and give you co-host status that they can rescind at any time.

Talk to your accountant as well.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Garry137 the simplest way for tax is to put each listing in the name of the owner and then you be the co host. This also gives them the advantage that they can change managers without losing all their reviews

Good afternoon,  Can I be a co-host without  have a property?

So what do I do, I do the listing on the clients name, use their tax number and then when they say it is run by a property manager?

@Garry137 yes - Most co hosts do not have their own property. 

Many management companies do not like being co hosts as it means they can be replaced easily by the owner. You should make it a selling point to your owners that you are confident enough in your abilities that this will not be a problem for you.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Garry137   How are you running your business?  Are you responsible for the maintenance of the properties or are you just an advertising hub?  

If you are 100% responsible for the turnovers, paperwork and maintenance, earning a percentage of the rental, then with the owner's consent, you should probably list the properties under your own account.  The taxes will be attributed to your business, the payments will come to your business, and you will pay the homeowner as per your contract with them.  If you are just an advertising venue, then the owner should list the property themselves with their information and give you co-host status that they can rescind at any time.

Talk to your accountant as well.