I’m thinking of listing property

Answered!

I’m thinking of listing property

Do I get council tax exemption for listing as holiday let?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John7470 No you do not. However if you register for business rates instead of council tax then, depending on the number of bed spaces in the property and where it is located you will probably qualify for business rates relief. The rules vary depending on location but in England you need to rent for about 65 (this may be wrong)  days a year and available for about 130. In Wales you need to rent for a lot more (210 springs to mind) so its not as easy to qualify.

I don't think you get to choose between council tax and business rates - If you are running a business you need to register for business rates.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Welcome to the community @John7470!

You didn't mention a location, but with the mention of council tax, perhaps you're in the UK. You might find some helpful info in this Help Center article on Responsible Hosting in the UK.

I'll also tag in some Hosts who might have some advice-- Are there any council tax exemptions for holiday lets in your experience @Mike-And-Jane0 or @Helen3?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hard to say as you don't say whether you are offering a room in your home or a whole listing and how many days a year you're planning to let for. Ask your local council if you'll qualify for business rates @John7470 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John7470 No you do not. However if you register for business rates instead of council tax then, depending on the number of bed spaces in the property and where it is located you will probably qualify for business rates relief. The rules vary depending on location but in England you need to rent for about 65 (this may be wrong)  days a year and available for about 130. In Wales you need to rent for a lot more (210 springs to mind) so its not as easy to qualify.

I don't think you get to choose between council tax and business rates - If you are running a business you need to register for business rates.

Just remember that if you contact the Council and say you are running a Furnished Holiday Letting business, and ask for Business Rates, they might tell you that you should have Planning Permission for Change of Use.   

And in places like London, Business Rates will be way higher than Council Tax anyway. 

I would say Tread Carefully