Insurance

Paul11453
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Insurance

I'm trying to do rental arbitrage in ottawa and making that property into airbnb. What's the insurance that we should get for apply to city

9 Replies 9
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Paul11453 👋

I'm popping by to invite some hosts that have been around in the past who are also based in Ottawa, Canada - @Susan5807@Lan11755@Ben6105 and @Marie-Eve42. I hope you don't mind me tagging you into this conversation, but we wondered if you could support Paul with his question re insurance needed to apply to the city. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ben6105
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi @Paul11453 , your need property insurance that explicitly includes coverage for shirt term rentals. Generally this is extra coverage that you add to your policy.

@Ben6105 Ya I contacted several insurance agencies and they are only able to provide me a commercial general liability insurance with short term rentals. Do you know any company that provides property insurance. 

Thanks for the support 

@Paul11453 I get my property insurance through TD. By default it includes insurance for "home sharing" (their term for short term rentals / Airbnb) for up to 30 days, but you can add additional coverage to increase that up to 120 days of the year.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Paul11453 @Ben6105  Those wanting to set up an arbitrage business can't get home insurance for short term guests as they don't own the property.

this is another reason why it's a big risk for landlords to allow someone to sublet their property for short term rentals 

I failed to realize that was @Paul11453 's intent. Thanks for that call-out, @Helen3 . To clarify, I own my property, so short term rental coverage is provided by my property insurance.

@Paul11453if you are looking to airbnb a dwelling that you rent, I'm not sure where you would get the appropriate insurance. You could still try with TD, but I don't know for a fact that their Tenant's insurance offers that coverage.

@Paul11453. Hi Paul, if you are doing this with your landlords/owners consent then they are the ones that will need to take it out. As a tenant you only get to insure your personal property. At least thats how it works here.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

The owner wouldn't be able to take out STR home insurance as they are not running the STR business @Frances3408 

@Helen3. Not unless the owner was formally part of the sub letting arrangement in a written agreement and getting a cut. Perhaps I was being too subtle with my earlier response as I suspect this isnt the case. 😉