International Fee for National Booking

International Fee for National Booking

I was recently charged a 1% international fee for a booking that is in the same state I am in. My bank tells me that this fee came from Visa because Airbnb processes their transactions in the United Kingdom.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't want to use Airbnb in the future if I will be charged international fees despite being in the U.S.

4 Replies 4
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Liam2193, whilst I'm not entirely sure how the payment charges work, I would recommend that you perhaps try to contact our support team so that they can investigate this for you. Contact: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi, I've tried contacting AirBNB a few times. Every time, the people at AirBNB pin it on my bank. The line used is "AirBNB doesn't manage and can't refund these fees, so please contact your bank"

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Liam2193   Before HomeAway was purchased by VRBO, they tried this nonsense as well because their payment processing center was in Ireland.  It is NOT legal to charge an international fee for a booking that is for a property in the United States, is booked by a person who also resides in the United States and is using a credit card issued on a United States Bank.  Fight it.

I wish I could but everyone in this situation seems as confused as I am.