LA hosts! Issues renewing extended stay permits

Megan1179
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

LA hosts! Issues renewing extended stay permits

I applied and paid $1081 for a renewal of my extended stay permit with Los Angeles’ Home Sharing Unit on July 31. When approval didn’t show up after a couple weeks, I emailed to inquire when I could expect approval. The reply was a form email saying it takes 20 days.

That was over 50 days ago.

I'm still waiting for the permit. And Airbnb will no longer allow me to rent fewer than 30 days until I get the permit. The city says there’s a “system error”.

I’ve called, emailed, and called and emailed again everyone under the sun (including Airbnb who seem unconcerned with previously busy hosts being stopped from renting…you’d think they’d be interest in how much money they’re losing…but they’ve offered no help and keep referring me to the LA Home Sharing e-mail and phone number like I haven’t already utilized those numerous times).

I know I’m not the only LA host in this position. If anyone has a solution they can recommend, I’m all ears.

thanks all!

Megan

19 Replies 19
Rami385
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I have the exact issue now 

This is Like a Joke on hosts expens that is not funny 

Why cant we get basic Service ?

Why they have internal issues and we are not able to rent 

or get answers ?

how can an entire department be un reachable ??

We need help 

all need help 

Not fair 

I’m still waiting. Still being told there’s a “system error”. Utter incompetence that adversely affects people just trying to follow the rules.

Blake290
Level 2
California, United States

@Megan1179 Did you ever get this resolved?

Im experiencing the exact issue. I applied in August 2023 for my extended permit and paid the $1000. I've emailed and called trying to get a status update and no response. Today I got a notification from airbnb saying I can no longer rent for less than 30 days bc permit wasn't approved. 

No explanation provided to me from the city or airbnb. Absolute insanity. 

@Blake290 I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this too. It took me three months to get my permit and during that time Airbnb wouldn’t let me rent for fewer than 30 days. It was extremely frustrating. And dealing with the city was useless. 

I wish I had words of advice. All I can say is one day, my permit was in my email inbox. The city apologized for the delay. But it cost me about $9000 is lost income I can’t get back. Not okay. And I’m anxious it’ll happen again when the time comes to renew. 

I hope you get your permit soon. 
Best,

Megan

Blake290
Level 2

Thanks for the reply @Megan1179 - sorry to hear it so long for you too. Take care 🙂 

Hey Megan,

My name is Julien and I'm a host here in LA. I'm experiencing the same issue and have lost a lot of rental income as a result of delayed permits and this city failing to help us with this process. For a lot of us, LA is only affordable if we are able to rent out part of our homes. I'm looking into pursuing some sort of government reform or legal action against the city and I'm interested if you would be willing to join my efforts to make a change so other hosts in the future don't have to experience the same struggle.

-Julien

Hi Julien,

Let me know what you have in mind. I had this issue when I reapplied last August. It took until November to get my permit. A system error was blamed. But I see hosts still saying this alleged system error excuse is still being used and delaying permits being issued. I don’t want a repeat of last year’s delay. 
I called and emailed numerous officials including the mayor and my council person and attempted to visit the home sharing office. The office seemed not to exist. The situation is unacceptable.

~Megan

Hey @Blake290,

i applied for my extended home sharing permit in september. i still haven't heard anything.  not an approval or denial.  just so i'm clear, it looks like guys on this thread have reached out to the city only to be told there's a system error and then nothing?  i haven't even bothered reaching out because every year there's an issue and no one replies. i'm so over the whole thing. 

-samantha

Blake290
Level 2

@Samantha1341 I've reached out several times via email/phone since Aug just to get a status update, and havent received a single response. Every year there's usually issues for me but they have responded at some point (usually in Dec).

But this year it's been radio silence and now I can't rent for less than 30 days according to an email I received from Airbnb a few days ago. 

Beyond frustrated. 

Hey Blake,

My name is Julien and I'm a host here in LA. I'm experiencing the same issue and have lost a lot of rental income as a result of delayed permits and this city failing to help us with this process. For a lot of us, LA is only affordable if we are able to rent out part of our homes. I'm looking into pursuing some sort of government reform or legal action against the city and I'm interested if you would be willing to join my efforts to make a change so other hosts in the future don't have to experience the same struggle.

-Julien

Hey Samantha,

-Julien

Hi Blake. Any luck. I’m dealing with the same issue. 

Learn a little bit about midterm, yes, people could stay longer and 30 days and you could actually have them pull credit report to stay longer than 30 days. You could also look through furnish finders. This is professional nurses that could stay in your place for a month two months three months. And you know they’re going back home because most of them live. In other states that’s why they called nurse. Hope this helps.

Richard Armendariz
Richard2048
Level 2
Ontario, CA

Learn a little bit about midterm, yes, people could stay longer and 30 days and you could actually have them pull credit report to stay longer than 30 days. You could also look through furnish finders. This is professional nurses that could stay in your place for a month two months three months. And you know they’re going back home because most of them live. In other states that’s why they called nurse. Hope this helps.

Richard Armendariz