LA hosts! Issues renewing extended stay permits

Megan1179
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

LA hosts! Issues renewing extended stay permits

I applied and paid $1081 for a renewal of my extended stay permit with Los Angeles’ Home Sharing Unit on July 31. When approval didn’t show up after a couple weeks, I emailed to inquire when I could expect approval. The reply was a form email saying it takes 20 days.

That was over 50 days ago.

I'm still waiting for the permit. And Airbnb will no longer allow me to rent fewer than 30 days until I get the permit. The city says there’s a “system error”.

I’ve called, emailed, and called and emailed again everyone under the sun (including Airbnb who seem unconcerned with previously busy hosts being stopped from renting…you’d think they’d be interest in how much money they’re losing…but they’ve offered no help and keep referring me to the LA Home Sharing e-mail and phone number like I haven’t already utilized those numerous times).

I know I’m not the only LA host in this position. If anyone has a solution they can recommend, I’m all ears.

thanks all!

Megan

19 Replies 19

Applied for home sharing Nov 1 '23, got email Nov 17 saying rejected bc my profile name "Jake" didn't match "Jacob" on my documents.  Emailed / called over a hundred times since asking for help and no response. Also showed up to their office in LA only to find out there is no home sharing representative at their own office. 🤔 Hmmm.

Called my credit card company to get fee refunded and they said it's a valid charge since it's an application and technically they responded to it. 

Looks like i'm just gonna pay another $200 for a new application and spell my name "Jacob". Wish me luck!

Hey Jake... or Jacob,

My name is Julien and I'm a host here in LA. I'm experiencing the same issue and have lost a lot of rental income as a result of delayed permits and this city failing to help us with this process. For a lot of us, LA is only affordable if we are able to rent out part of our homes. I'm looking into pursuing some sort of government reform or legal action against the city and I'm interested if you would be willing to join my efforts to make a change so other hosts in the future don't have to experience the same struggle.

-Julien

Beverly251
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I’m just curious if anyone has tried applying for a different permit number and if that would side step the issue? If yes, does the current listing disappear with all the reviews and ratings?

George-Tom0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hey Megan,I hope this finds you well…  I was wondering if this matter was ever resolved and if so how  did you do it? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow if I get denied. It said denied but now it says processing. 
I hooe this worked out well for you. 

Hi George, the issue resolved after three months. I don’t think any of the emails, calls, or attempts to visit the office helped at all. The explanation I got about the reason for the delay was a “system error”. I’m very curious to know if you encounter the same excuse all these months later. I certainly hope not and the delays have ended!

Good luck to you! Let me know what happens.